PPS Filter Linked to Proclarity Parameter!!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I am using a PPS Filter to pass Values to two different reports.

One is a PPS Grid report and another one is ProClarity analytic report.

I have linked the PPS Filter to both of the reports.

My problem is, when i select 22 items from the filter, everything works fine. But when i select 23 or more number of items from the filter the ProClarity Analyitc report gives me an error:-

The webpage could not be displayed.
    Where as the PPS Report is still working fine showing all the values corresponding to those 23 or more numbers of items.

Has anyone came across such kind of problem?

Waiting for the valuable suggestion!

Regards,
    Swapnil
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:28 AM

Answers

• Based upon the information above, it does not seem like you would be hitting the limit.  But the behavior first described sure sounds like it.  I know that the error message mentioned above will be displayed if you hit the limit.

The limit is just over 2000 characters, and this cannot be changed.  It is an Internet Explorer limit with GET requests (see article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427 )

I can't remember the exact protocol of how these parameters or passed, but I believe the full member name gets passed, including the hierarchy name.  As an example, consider the "Customer Geography" dimension in the Adventworks sample cube.  If you select the state "Oregon" as a member, the full member name that gets passed is  "[Customer].[Customer Geography].[State-Province].&[OR]&[US]".  The string may grow more quickly than you realize.

I'm afraid I don't know of a workaround for this issue, other than what I mentioned before: create named sets in Analysis Services so that you don't have to select so many individual members.

- Tim

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Swapnil,

I am guessing you have probably hit a size limitation in how parameters are passed to the PAS page.

These parameters are passed on the query string to the web page, and I believe the maximum length of a query string is around 2000 characters.  The member names are what is put into the query string, so these can add up quickly if your hierarchy and member names are very long.

What you might consider doing is making some named sets on your AS server so that you don't have to select so many individual members.

Regards,

Tim

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Hi Tim

A colleague of mine has also hit this issue today with only approx 850 characters.  Can you confirm what the limit actually is?

This seems like a fairly fundamental flaw if that is the limit?

Is there a fix planned for this (or at least some sort of handler to stop the error occuring)?

Tim K

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:46 PM
  •  

Hi Tim,

In my case, I am using ID which is numeric. This ID is of 7 Digits.

So all in all there are 7x22=154 characters only.

If i roughly include all the spaces than also it wont exceed 200 character.

Is there any limit to pass the filter values?

Can we solve this my modifying Web.config file somewhere?

Regards,

Swapnil

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:01 PM
  • Based upon the information above, it does not seem like you would be hitting the limit.  But the behavior first described sure sounds like it.  I know that the error message mentioned above will be displayed if you hit the limit.

The limit is just over 2000 characters, and this cannot be changed.  It is an Internet Explorer limit with GET requests (see article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427 )

I can't remember the exact protocol of how these parameters or passed, but I believe the full member name gets passed, including the hierarchy name.  As an example, consider the "Customer Geography" dimension in the Adventworks sample cube.  If you select the state "Oregon" as a member, the full member name that gets passed is  "[Customer].[Customer Geography].[State-Province].&[OR]&[US]".  The string may grow more quickly than you realize.

I'm afraid I don't know of a workaround for this issue, other than what I mentioned before: create named sets in Analysis Services so that you don't have to select so many individual members.

- Tim

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Hi Swapnil,

Can you please post or email (tkcupit@sbcglobal.net) me some screen shots of how you are doing this?

Thanks,
    TC
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Please download the hotfix from the specified link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967343. This shoild resolve your issue.

HTH,
    Ram
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:31 PM