Exporting S2008 VM to new host fails: Won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Problem is as the title says:  Won't boot after export.  I have made sure the ram and virtual proc # are the same on source and target hosts (at first I thought that was the problem--there is another thread I started a few months ago, while under that impression--sorry folks).  I have made sure the VM does boot on the source host just fine.  I have tried shutting off the Integration Services options on the target host's VM settings, then turning them all on, and a few combinations inbetween.  No go.  The furthest it will get is if I choose Directory Services Restore mode as boot option; in this case, all the drivers load up one by one, then a screen appears that says:

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.0
    2 System Processors 2048MB Memory MultiProcessor Kernel
    The system is booting in safemode - Directory Services Repair

and freezes there forever. 

It has to be something to do with the hardware change.  I can't see what else it can be.  Oddly, Server 2003 VMs will boot for me after export.  I might have to boot them in Debugging Mode the first time, but they work.  Server 2008 will not boot no matter what.  I suspect S2008 is more paranoid about hardware changes; it wouldn't surprise me. 

Just a guess: Would defining a Hyper-V cluster do anything?

Otherwise, I am at a loss.  Help?

Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Solved!

You were on the right track.  The VM Bus version on the target host was different than the version on the source host.  A simple downloadable update to the target host brought it into line with the source. 

Now for the next challenge..

• Marked as answer by althuss Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:58 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:57 AM

All replies

• Interesting!   For S&Gs I looked at the Event Log, which tells me this:

"The parent partition uses a different VMBus version. You need to Install a matching VMBus version in this guest installation."

Next question: Huh?

Next next question:  Since the whole purpose of this is ultimately for backup purposes--and I won't necessarily know which host I might be copying this VM to in the future, in case of restore--I would think it's more sensible to install a matching VMBus in the new host, to match the guest.  Since I will know at all times what the guest is running, and it's not going to change. 

Yes?

Sunday, May 9, 2010 2:01 AM
  • You mentioned that you were exporting and importing.

Okay, what version of Hyper-V are you exportign from and what version are you importing to?

Please be advised that you can only go forward in revisions, not backward.  Thus, if you have a Hyper-V R2 VM you will have success importing back to R2 or newer and limited success importing to Hyper-V v1.

However, saying all this, I would still expect the VM to boot.  The only way I would net expect the VM to boot is if you are modifying the virtual hardware in some way (such as migrating from ESX to Hyper-V) and tehn still with Server 2008 I would expect the OS in the VM to handle the boot device hardware change.

What else can you tell us about this VM?  We can infer that it is a domain controller.  What is its life? (where did it come from, was it built clean as a VM, etc.)

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Solved!

You were on the right track.  The VM Bus version on the target host was different than the version on the source host.  A simple downloadable update to the target host brought it into line with the source. 

Now for the next challenge..

• Marked as answer by althuss Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:58 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:57 AM