Does every AAM entry need to have its own website RRS feed

• Question

• I have a general question regarding AAM entries.  If I associate different URLs to a Sharepoint Web App via AAM, do I have to extend my Sharepoint Web App to create a site for every URL that I listed in AAM?

See the image here:

http://lh5.google.com/IvansPhotos/R514UMEngfI/AAAAAAAABDA/GRD5RTZtML4/image_thumb%5B2%5D

So in the situation above, do I have to extend the JumpStart Web App to create the web sites for every URL in each zone? 

Moderator Note: Some people are on slow lines and there can be a noticeable wait for them if images are included in posts. Instead of an image *link* to an image as I did here in my edit. Then only those people who want to see the image need load it.

Johnson Joseph
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:07 PM Moderator Note added and image replaced by URL to image
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• Creating an alternate AAM just gives you a different base URL for the web app.  It doesn't provide the opportunity to do a different authentication method.  for that you need to extend the web app to a new zone.  That gives you a new AAM and a web site (with a seperate Web.config file.  that's what allows a different authentication method.)

So you are correct.  Extending the web app lets you add a different set of users and a different URL.  Setting an AAM just lets you use a different URL but the same authentication method.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Johnson Joseph Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:24 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

• No, you don't need a seperate web site for each AAM.  When you extend a SharePoint Web application to a seperate Zone you will automatically get a seperate web site and AAM.  But you can also just add an AAM in Central Admin without extending the Web Application.  The one extra thing you might need to do is if you are using Host Headers in your web applicaiton.  If so you need to bind the new AAM to the existing web site in IIS as a host header.  But you don't need an actual extra web site.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:26 PM
  • So what is the benefit of extending a web app when I can create an AAM mapping to different zones, which provide different authentication methods.  I thought the main benefit to extending a Web App to another zone was for adding another method of authentication for a different set of users who hit a different URL.

Johnson Joseph
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Creating an alternate AAM just gives you a different base URL for the web app.  It doesn't provide the opportunity to do a different authentication method.  for that you need to extend the web app to a new zone.  That gives you a new AAM and a web site (with a seperate Web.config file.  that's what allows a different authentication method.)

So you are correct.  Extending the web app lets you add a different set of users and a different URL.  Setting an AAM just lets you use a different URL but the same authentication method.

• Marked as answer by Johnson Joseph Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:24 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Got it.  I was confused with the Zone listing in the AAM.  It didn't occur to me that the Zone listed in the AAM won't take affect unless the Web App is extended to that zone.  That can be confusing.

Johnson Joseph
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:26 PM