Vista USB inconsistencies RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Enterprise at one work site and also on my home office. I transfer work using USB hard drives. The USB at the worksite recognized the USB, but I couldn't browse with Windows Explorer. The home office I could browse. Suddenly I could browse at my work site but not my home office. At my home office I can browse a thumb drive. I see no yellow cautions on my USB in device manager. What gives with Vista? I have no problem using the USB drives on XP at either place.  I've tried several troubleshooting suggestions on this site.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:27 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I know the sometimes your USB drive works on your work computer, but it cannot work on your home computer; and sometimes, it can’t work on your work computer, but it works at home. Please let me know if it is this case. If I have misunderstand your concern, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please check if the USB drive exits in Disk Management on the both computers:

1)    Open Computer Management by clicking the Start, right-clicking Manage. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

2)    Please check if you can see the USB drive.

3)    If the USB drive exists, please see if a Driver Letter has been assigned. If not, please assign a Driver Letter manually and try to access the drive. You can press “Win+R”, type in “<the drive letter>:” (without quotations) and press Enter to see if you can browse the disk.

2.    If you have another USB drive please check if it will work on both the computers. Or, you can try to plug the USB drive to another USB port to see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I know the sometimes your USB drive works on your work computer, but it cannot work on your home computer; and sometimes, it can’t work on your work computer, but it works at home. Please let me know if it is this case. If I have misunderstand your concern, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please check if the USB drive exits in Disk Management on the both computers:

1)    Open Computer Management by clicking the Start, right-clicking Manage. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

2)    Please check if you can see the USB drive.

3)    If the USB drive exists, please see if a Driver Letter has been assigned. If not, please assign a Driver Letter manually and try to access the drive. You can press “Win+R”, type in “<the drive letter>:” (without quotations) and press Enter to see if you can browse the disk.

2.    If you have another USB drive please check if it will work on both the computers. Or, you can try to plug the USB drive to another USB port to see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see how everything is going and if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you have any questions or concerns on the recent information I've provided you, please don't hesitate to let me know.

At this time, I would also share the following information with you and hope they are helpful:

Get help with Device Manager errors

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/8bf5c94f-82e3-4d4e-b176-2aba6b0b0edf1033.mspx

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/ada5519d-850d-465d-a6a7-598fa2f110521033.mspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:49 AM
  • I have a 1TB external hdd and its a usb 2.0 and i used to get amazing speed when i connected it to the the mac installed machine and my broher's XP system .. only with windows vista and windows 7 this seems to be a problem it gives just a trasnfer speed of 5 MB/s and then keeps on dropping down and then stays on 1.5 or 2

on my Mac it used to trasnfer 1 gb file under a min same with the xp but not with vista or windows 7 ... i have tried with a small file and have tried with a big file the results turn out to be the same . have checked in device manager and my ext hdd shows its connected to a hi speed usb hub ... i have tried safe mode and in the safe mode the speeds are little better it gave a max of 10MB/s but not as good as the mac or the xp it is not reaching the 25 MB/s to 30 MB/s which it used to

I work for Dell and its not only a problem with my system there are thousands of users who face the same problem

Not only that i have tried multiple pen drive multiple ports ...... i have checked the bios and all the setting for the usb controller are fine the drivers are up to date how ever i noticed something...

i did a clean install of vista did not conect to the internet therefore no updates downloaded and now i tried the usb transfer .... i got speeds upto 25MB/s to 30MB/s which is good enough as a usb 2.0 theoretically provides 60MB/s

BUT

After downloading the updates from windows update the speeds took a hit now they do not go above 4 MB/s or 5MB/s so this is an issue with the updates some fix needs to be for this cause it is literally frustrating as to trasnfer a file of 1 gb it takes a long time.

same problem with windows 7 RC but in its case the speeds suck from the time u install it...

There are no softwares installed except an antivirus software so chances of some 3rd party programs causing the problem i dont think so.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:18 PM
  •  

Hi Dude,

Thank you for posting.

After checking your post, I found it is different from the original thread. Therefore, to avoid possible confusion and make our discussion clear, please post a new thread in our forum regarding your concern and we will continue to help you and provide some suggestions.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:59 AM