none
SharePoint Online Search not finding PDF Document keywords RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have found that SharePoint Online search is not finding keywords that have been entered in to the properties of PDF documents. Is this by design and only the Author, Title and content is searchable and crawled? I am working with a customer that is adding the keywords in to the properties of the PDF when it is created. SharePoint online is being implemented and so the keywords and metadata is being heavily relied upon for these files.

Can these keywords be made searchable for SharePoint as an out of the box solution as they do not want to develop anything...and neither do I at this moment,

Thanks

Lee

Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by nbrattoliMVP Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:11 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:38 PM
  • You might have more trouble with SPO,  since the search is not as robust, but it's the same concept. You'll need to add the fields to the crawled properties.
    • Proposed as answer by kulkas Sunday, March 24, 2019 12:50 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for responding and providing the great blog. Unfortunately the tool would not work on my machine so I could not check the property first. I tried adding Office:5 (which I had looked at previously!) but this has not resulted in any success at the moment. I may have to try the other crawled properties as well and see what is returned. I am open to any suggestions and reasons why the tool did not work :)
    Friday, June 12, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Hi Lee,

What did you mean about the properties of PDF files?

Did you mean the columns in the library when uploading PDF file to SharePoint or the custom metadata for the PDF files?

Please provide an screenshot of the properties for the PDF files.

I recommend to store the properties in SharePoint columns for the files and then we can search with the values in columns to get the PDF files.

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2015 3:25 AM
  • Hi Victoria

When you open the PDF file in Adobe Reader, if you go to File > Properties then you can see the properties or metadata, as in the picture. The keywords are what I am trying to map to a Managed Property but Office:5 did not seem to work, nor did Keywords or ows_Keywords.

If I could add crawled properties to columns and see then that would possibly help to identify the property. It could cause some problems with the customers current process if these are not searchable.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hi Lee,

As you are using SharePoint Online, I recommend to use PowerShell command to force a full crawl of your tenant in SharePoint Online and then check the results.

Please refer to the link below for the scripts:

https://blog-aspc.azurewebsites.net/force-full-crawl-of-your-tenant-in-sharepoint-online/

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 19, 2015 2:06 AM