How to silently install applications with MDT that have a product key? RRS feed

• Question

• All,

MDT newbie here. Learning a lot about the capabilities of this software.

Having a problem deploying a few software programs that require a product key. Specifically EndNote.

I can do a silent install of the software, but how do I incorporate the license key into the deployment? I don't see an option to do this within Applications under my deployment share.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:00 PM

All replies

• It really depends on the software. Some software can accept a command line parameter with the key. Some require a file in a location or maybe a registry key etcetera.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 3:10 PM
  • I generally use Orca,https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370557(v=vs.85).aspx, if it is an MSI, to find out the parameters I can pass either through the use of an MST file or in the Command line itself.  If you can pass the Product Key for that application you will see what to call it.

Open the MSI in Orca, click on Property in the list on the Left.  Any thing then listed on the right can be passed to the MSI either through a Transform file or the command line.

Example:

msiexec.exe /i <PathtoMSI> TRANSFORMS=<MSTfilename(in same folder as MSI)> PATCH=<PathtoPatchfile> /qn

The Transforms switch passes the transform file to the msi, which contains all the other info including the Product Key

You could also use whatever the msi uses to identify the Product Key in the command line, ie "Key=" or "ProductKey="

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:58 PM