none
Don't have the option to manually connect to a wireless network or set up a wireless router or access point or ad hoc after installing Windows 7 service pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

•  

prior to downloading the Windows 7 service pack 2 I had windows 7 basic that connected to the internet with out any issues. After istallation I no longer had the option to manually connect to a wireless network or set up a wireless router or access point or ad hoc. It will only let me have dial up/lan/vpn there is no wlan anywhere? I can't access the internet on that computer so I have no idea how to fix it. How can I manually add a wireless network if I dont have the option?

• Moved by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:57 AM (From:Windows Vista Networking)
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Reinstall your wireless network card driver to the latest one.

And refer to this: Setting up a wireless network

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:27 AM
  • That's not a good recommendation Miya.  It sounds like he's missing the "manual" option from the "choose a connection option" screen (after selecting "set up a new connection or network").  It could be something as simple as his wireless adapter being disabled.

Before he does what you suggested, he should check to make sure the wireless adapter is enabled.  Start --> Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change adapter settings (left-hand side).  

If the icon for the wireless network connection shows a status of "disabled", right-click it and then "enable".  

The option should then reappear to choose a MANUAL connection option.  

Hope that helps!  Tom

Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Hi um I’m not getting the icon that says wireless network connection
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:53 AM
  • Did you get to connect to your laptop to the WiFi? Let me know I’m having the same trouble it doesn’t give me the option to connect to a wireless network only dial up and my head is about to explode. 🤯😂
    Friday, December 22, 2017 9:51 AM
  • I'm having the same issue on my desktop with Windows 10 Pro where i have access to ethernet connections but no option for manual connection and no icon thats says wireless connection. What should i do here?
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:48 PM