Vista NetMan process 100% CPU usage issue RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows Vista 32bit OS and all my softwares what I use to my computer. I noticed that my computer's performance is extremely slow due to 50% CPU usage. Unfortunately I did not noticed this earlier when it started to fail so I don't know which installation caused this. My computer is an Intel 3GHz CPU (dual core), 3GB RAM, 4 HDDs in RAID mode, Geforce 8600GTS, AverTV Studio.

Using Sysinternal's process explorer (PE) I identified that one of the svchost.exe employs the CPU. I displayed the Threads of this process and the largest Cycles Delta callstack is as follows:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x40
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x418
    ntkrnlpa.exe!CcSetDirtyPinnedData+0x1147
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KiCheckForKernelApcDelivery+0x24
    ntkrnlpa.exe!MmUnmapViewOfSection+0xe00
    ntkrnlpa.exe!MmCreateSection+0xc03
    ntkrnlpa.exe!NtCreateSection+0x16f
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xba2
    ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
    SETUPAPI.dll!SetupIterateCabinetW+0x40a
    SETUPAPI.dll!pSetupMultiByteToUnicode+0x22f
    SETUPAPI.dll!SetupWriteTextLog+0x269
    SETUPAPI.dll!SetupWriteTextLog+0x1d
    netman.dll!NetManDiagFromCommandArgs+0x794c
    netman.dll!NetManDiagFromCommandArgs+0x7c75
    ntdll.dll!vsnwprintf+0x314
    ntdll.dll!RtlIntegerToUnicodeString+0x2db
    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x12
    ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x4d

From this it looks like the culprit is the netman service. I tried to stop it from PE and also from Services manager but it always failed with time out. However my CPU usage fall down to 0% - so it appearently solved the issue.

I suppose that because of this I'm not able to install OpenVPN - TAP driver installation fails, and also not able to install Vista SP1 (Error Code: 80004005) using WinUpdate.

I also found an article on the net about similar issue, where some registry keys [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<GUID>\Connection\Name] were somehow corrupted. However all of the Name entries are strings on my computer so it look like I have a different problem.

Any idea what could be the problem and how to solve the above issues?

Many Thanks in Advance,

Abyss

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:54 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.. Lenovo T61, 4 Gb ram, Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz.

this is the threads in the stack inside svchost.exe --> ntdll!RtlDecodePointer+0x9b :

ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xab7
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x492
    ntkrnlpa.exe!PsGetCurrentThreadTeb+0x377
    hal.dll!KfRaiseIrql+0xd1
    hal.dll!KeRaiseIrqlToSynchLevel+0x70
    hal.dll!HalEndSystemInterrupt+0x73
    hal.dll!HalInitializeProcessor+0xcc1
    ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+0x29
    netcfgx.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0xfaf
    netcfgx.dll!LanaCfgFromCommandArgs+0x6b9
    netman.dll!NetManDiagFromCommandArgs+0x7f49
    netman.dll!NetManDiagFromCommandArgs+0x828d
    ntdll.dll!TpSetWait+0x149
    ntdll.dll!RtlDecodePointer+0x32a
    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x12
    ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
    ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36

Very annoying problem, i have to suspend this thread everytime i start the laptop.

Have you fixed the issue?

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Well yes. I throw my Vista installation to the ***. Sorry for this tone but I was so flustrated but the Vista IN-compatibility that time. I spent 80% of my worktime to resolve all issues what caused my switch to Vista. The answer for Microsoft for my question was that they test deeply their product but the 3rd party companies do not - or something similar. But my real question is WHY they change each release their OS so it breaks the compatibility with other programs. Is it so hard to detect that the program requires the "old" interface and work as it was an WinXP?

OK regarding the issue. I'm using OpenVPN to connect to the company's server. However due to above compatibility issues the installation of the OpenVPN service (TAP driver) was not finished. The installer exited however it left something in registry or not sure where which keept installing the OpenVPN service. I can't remember the details I found the registry entry which caused this neverending installaction in the background and killed it and removed that entry from the registry. Installed the new version of the OpenVPN service which added the item what I removed but with different parameters and that was it. After that my OpenVPN connection worked fine.

Then I decided to reinstall Vista and do it from scratch. This time it worked fine. However after a week I started to have "Limited Connection issue" - which equals to zero connection - after a hour work on the computer. I worked such way for another week, but was not able to find a solution. Driver update, special workflows what I find on the net did not help. That was the last point on the Vista storry. Now I'm on WinXP which is stable like a rock.

Hope this helps.

Abyss

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:42 PM
  • I have the same problem with my new PC. I also have to suspend this (  ntdll!RtlDecodePointer+0x9b ) thread several times a day. Terribly annoying! Please someone find a good solution!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:40 PM