none
Microsoft Message Analyzer Deprecation Notice RRS feed

• General discussion

• Microsoft Message Analyzer (MMA) will be retired and its download packages removed from microsoft.com sites on November 25 2019.  There is currently no Microsoft replacement for Microsoft Message Analyzer in development at this time.  For similar functionality, please consider using a 3rd party network protocol analyzer tool such as WireShark.
    Versions Affected
    Versions 1.4 and earlier.
    Reason for Deprecation
    Microsoft Message Analyzer was last released in October 2016 and has not been under active development since that date. There are no plans for further public releases of Microsoft Message Analyzer.
    Impact
    If you already have Microsoft Message Analyzer installed, you may continue to use it, along with the OPN parsers you have already downloaded. However, after November 25 2019, no versions of Microsoft Message Analyzer will be made available for public download on Microsoft.com sites and you will no longer be able to download OPN parsers.
    Recommendations
    If you don’t already have Microsoft Message Analyzer installed, install it now before November 25 2019 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44226.  
    If you already have Microsoft Message Analyzer installed, download the latest OPN parser packages before November 25 2019 by following the steps at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/message-analyzer/managing-microsoft-opn-parser-packages.

Forum Moderator

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hello Althea! 

Is there any chance that the software could be open sourced? I tend to rely on wireshark for quick and dirty tasks, but there are some things it simply can't do that MMA can. I have not found it's equal yet, and it would be a pretty great tool to lose.

--James

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:25 AM
  • Hi James,

At this time there are no plans to open source MMA. 

// I tend to rely on wireshark for quick and dirty tasks, but there are some things it simply can't do that MMA can.//

What are your top 2-3 things? 

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,

Althea

Forum Moderator

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:27 AM
  • So I just found out about the deprecation today, when I launched MMA.

I only learned about MMA about 6 months ago.

I don't use it often, but it's quite valuable when you need it - especially as it supports so many different file types, and lets you try and correlate events in time.

Please re-consider, at least put the installers back up, and I agree, why not open source it if at all possible. (I mean, freaking Powershell is now open sourced...)

If anyone knows of a comparable product/software, please post here!

--Seek Truth, and you will find Joy!

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:30 PM