none
How to fix incorrect file association for .config files

Question

• I fat-fingered something on a Windows 2012 R2 server and inadvertently set the file associations for .config to Notepad.  How do I set this back to its default, Windows Shell Common Dll.  So far my research has left me high and dry, and apparently web.config for IIS set to Notepad doesn't sit well with IIS.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:56 PM

All replies

• This thread may help you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/2df4971f-0a3c-43ff-9494-c098e3eabfc0/remove-file-association-with-an-unwanted-program-windows-server-20122012-r2?forum=winservergen

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:44 PM
  • The method in that article assumes you can select a program, such as Notepad, to move to for the file associations. The one in my question is the default for .config files and as noted is what looks like an oblique reference to the Windows Shell Common Dll, but you cannot change it to that in the UI for the file by pointing to shell32.dll - that throws an error that it cannot be called directly.

I need to put .config files back to the default association, which isn't a file/program per se, as noted.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

There is method for you,please refer to it.

https://www.quora.com/In-Windows-10-how-do-you-change-file-association-back-to-unknown-program

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 8, 2018 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:37 AM