none
Design DPM for SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

we have a small-medium SharePoint 2010 farm. It has 3 web applications each 50 GB size and one is 100 GB in size. 2 web servers+1 app server+1 reporting server + DB cluster.

We are planning to implement DPM 2012 / 2010 for SharePoint backup and recovery. How many DPM servers I shoulde needed or design ?

I appreciate any help on designing DPM.

Thanks.

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion, just one DPM server would be enough. we have a bigger farm (5 wfe, 3 as, 1 sql cluster) with just one dpm server. And, you should have a separate network interface for dpm traffic.

However, you must carefully think what and how are you protecting, depending on your SLA requirements. I mean, SharePoint protection "just" covers config/admin dbs and all the content dbs. you have a lot of things that can go wrong in a SharePoint environment out of these databases: OS, sharepoint binaries, web application configurations, service applications / proxies....and for some of them there's no direct DPM protection (e.g. to properly backup a service application you need a combination of scheduled backup-spfarm plus file system protection on the target directory).

I recommend you the MS guide "Operations guide for servers and server farms for Microsoft SharePoint server 2010", where it is very well detailed how to backup every component of a SharePoint farm.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In my opinion, just one DPM server would be enough. we have a bigger farm (5 wfe, 3 as, 1 sql cluster) with just one dpm server. And, you should have a separate network interface for dpm traffic.

However, you must carefully think what and how are you protecting, depending on your SLA requirements. I mean, SharePoint protection "just" covers config/admin dbs and all the content dbs. you have a lot of things that can go wrong in a SharePoint environment out of these databases: OS, sharepoint binaries, web application configurations, service applications / proxies....and for some of them there's no direct DPM protection (e.g. to properly backup a service application you need a combination of scheduled backup-spfarm plus file system protection on the target directory).

I recommend you the MS guide "Operations guide for servers and server farms for Microsoft SharePoint server 2010", where it is very well detailed how to backup every component of a SharePoint farm.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 AM
  • I agree with Roberto. I would like to add that you should also consider a Secondary DPM as a part of your DPM implementation. Place the Secondary DPM offsite somewhere to protect your local DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:29 PM