none
Exchange SP2 RU4 - white space reclaim issue RRS feed

• Question

• All

we have exchange 2010 SP2 RU4 but still white spaces are not reclaimed on all our DBs. Can you guys please let me know steps if i need to do to reclaim this WS.

Regards Mager

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• as i mentioned i do see AvailableNewMailboxSpace as some GB (max 25GB).

Regards Mager

But thats a good thing, yes? Exhcange should use that space and then only grow the database on disk once that is used. Are you not seeing that?
    • Marked as answer by Johnpaul J Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

• How do you know its not being reclaimed?

If you check the mailbox databases for free space, (Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | Select Servername, Name, AvailableNewMailboxSpace) what does it show and what it the deleted item retention set to? Also are you using archiving?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:11 AM
  • we do see some GB of WS when you see "AvailableNewMailboxSpace". we have 1 day retention for recover deleted items.

Regards Mager

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:25 AM
  • we do see some GB of WS when you see "AvailableNewMailboxSpace". we have 1 day retention for recover deleted items.

Regards Mager

Ok, so lets go back to the original question. What makes you think your white space is not being reclaimed?
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:41 PM

Regards Mager

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:19 PM

Regards Mager

But thats a good thing, yes? Exhcange should use that space and then only grow the database on disk once that is used. Are you not seeing that?
    • Marked as answer by Johnpaul J Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Thanks for your clarification Andy. I will monitor my EDB file size and let you know if its growing without using available free space.

Regards Mager

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Hi

check this link: 

Exchange 2010 Database size growing problem

you can find there script to monitor mailbox database size, whitespace size and deleteditems size maybe it will help you.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:51 PM