none
Creating archive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just started using DPM 2012, I created protection groups and the backup works fine. But for retention, I choosed 30 days, since that is what I would like to keep data.

The question is , can I create some sort of an archive , for example I would like to take a full backup of a folder every week, and keep this backup for as long as I would like (5 years)

Is it possible?

Thank you.

-Mehdi

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We only support making long term backup to tape, so you would need to attach a tape drive to the DPM Server then configure long term protection.

Alternate solution would be to use a software based virtual tape library like firestreamer and backup to removable disk to take offsite. This would still use long term backup to tape workflow, but the output media would be disk instead of tape.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:28 PM