Cannot download Office 2010 Documents from WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Using WSS 3.0 SP1

User is using Windows 7/Office 2010/IE9

User can open pdf, jpeg, etc documents but can not open Office documents. Error message is "Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file <file name & location>. There are several possible reasons.

This user is at our client location. Our employees are not having this issue. In fact, nobody outside the client is having this problem. Please note that I have asked several client users to verify the error, and they are having the same problem. I do not know if the OS/Office/IE is 32 bit or 64 bit.

I have ruled out SharePoint permissions. It has to be some type of security setting in Office or IE (I think). Does anybody have any ideas to help me? Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hi mh53j,

Do the employees and clients open the same document (in the same web application or extended web applications with different authentications) but get different response?

Please check the clients’ machine, make sure the webclient service in started in serices.msc, since Office required this service to open it from SharePoint.

Here is a similar thread, please also check SQL Help’s resolution.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/olbasics/thread/5eafe318-98da-43f5-b161-fb2aa99de169

If above can't help to resolve your problem, could you find more error details from ULS log.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Emir Liu Friday, May 17, 2013 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:00 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 7:42 AM