Remote Management for Hyper-V (server core) not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

My question is about Remote Server Management for Windows Server 2008 R2 core installation mode. I would like to use Server Manager and Perfmon to connect to my core server, but both don't work. These core server are my Hyper-V hosts, managed by VMM (where I changed the default ports to BITSTcpPort: 8998 an WSManTcpPort:8999).

What do I've to install on server core and which firewall rules have to be opened that this will work?

• Installed
      • Hyper-V
      • PowerShell
      • VMM Agent
    • Firewall Rules
      • For this test disabled: netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off

I get this error:

[Main Instruction]
    Server Manager cannot connect to MYHOST. Click Retry to try to connect again.

[Expanded Information]
    Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

WinRM is configured like this:

Client
        NetworkDelayms = 5000
        URLPrefix = wsman
        AllowUnencrypted = false
        Auth
            Basic = true
            Digest = true
            Kerberos = true
            Negotiate = true
            Certificate = true
            CredSSP = false
        DefaultPorts
            HTTP = 5985
            HTTPS = 5986
        TrustedHosts = *

Any advice how I can resolve this error? I think it has to do with VMM, as other Server Core servers can be managed from remote. Thanks a lot!

Regards
    Norbert

Saturday, June 5, 2010 3:02 PM

Answers