none
SYSVOL and NETLOGON Share is missing

Question

•  

I have done Primary Domain Controller restore test using NetBackup in my Lab. But after restore i found that sysvol and Netlogon shares are missing.Then i followed the article and changed the following registry value.

1. In the Command box, type net stop ntfrs.
    2. Locate the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup
    3. In the right pane, double click BurFlags.
    4. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type D4 and then click OK.
    5. Run net start ntfrs

After this Sysvol Folder comes up without any script or any content in that. Netlogon also missing. How to restore this.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:21 AM

Answers

• Problem Has been resolved after doing the below procedure.

Sysvol and Netlogon shares will be missing do not work

Run the following command on all domain controllers in the forest.

Net Stop NTFRS  (stop the file replication service)

Go Into Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup

Change the BurFlags DWORD to = D4 on the Primary Domain Controller and change to D2 on all of the backup domain controllers.

Start the NTFRS service again by using Net Start NTFRS command

On the server where you edited the BurFlags DWORD to D4 copy the folders in the folder NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog to C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\yourdomain.localIn the Command box on the server where you set the DWORD to D4, type net start ntfrs.

Start the Net Logon Service 

• Marked as answer by shehimkannur Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:05 AM

All replies

• >  4. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type D4 and then click OK.

If you restored this DC, you should have transferred all FSMO roles to another DC. And in this case, you MUST NOT use D4, but D2...

> After this Sysvol Folder comes up without any script or any content in that. Netlogon also missing. How to restore this.

Restore from backup.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Dear,

Since you have restored the domain controller into a lab.

First you need to seize the FSMO roles from old DC and need to move the roles to your Restored DC. Once done you can view all the folders.

Thanks

Syed Abdul Kadar M.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hello,

When you say "lab" I assume that this restored DC is the only domain controller existing there. Right?

Are you sure your SYSVOL is replicated using NtFrs and not DFS? DFS replicated SYSVOL requireds other restore procedure, that is described here: https://kx.cloudingenium.com/microsoft/servers/windows-servers/force-authoritative-non-authoritative-synchronization-dfsr-replicated-sysvol-like-d4d2-frs/ (Please note, that as this is not Microsoft resource, it can change at any time, so you are using it at your own risk).

/Bulat

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:13 AM
  • how can i verify Sysvol replication using NtFrs or DFS.Restored DC is the only Domain Controller restored in Lab .

All FSMO roles are in same DC. and i change D4 setting in registry. Still Netlogon and scripts are missing.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:21 PM
  • In short: dfsrmig.exe /getglobalstate

The first chapter of the following article contains more detailed information on determining whether it is NtFrs and DFS: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc507518%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

/Redards

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Depending on the server version you're running as your DC, you can check the event logs --> applications and services logs --> DFS Replication.

You can also type this command in:  dfsrmig.exe /getglobalstate

If it states:   DFSR migration has not yet initialized       then you're running FRS.  If it says "Eliminated" then your DC is using DFS-R.

This is the utility used in migrating replication from NTFRS to DFS-R which DFS-R is what server 2008 and above have moved too.  MS has moved away from NTFRS. 

What server version are you running (2008, 2008 R2, 20102, etc)?

JB

• Edited by JBerg712 Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:59 PM Added more info.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:56 PM
  • the only way to verify Sysvol replication is to check the policy count and error event

Regards,
    Ganesamoorthy.S
    www.windowstricks.in)

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:36 PM
  • We are running windows 2008 R2 .But Still Domain functional level is 2003.

this command not working dfsrmig.exe /getglobalstate it support in windows 2008 and above only.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:00 AM
  • If the domain functional level is Windows Server 2003, then SYSVOL is definitely replicated via NtFrs. In this case the BurFlags are the correct way to control SYSVOL restore. So you need to study the logs to see what goes wrong.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:35 AM
  • I found the below error in logs

The Netlogon service could not create server share F:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\Domain.CO.IN\SCRIPTS.  

The system cannot find the file specified.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:31 AM
  • Hi,
    Regarding this error, please refer to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947022/the-netlogon-share-is-not-present-after-you-install-active-directory-domain-services-on-a-new-full-or-read-only-windows-server-2008-based-domain-controller
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 3:23 AM
  • When i go to sysvol i can see a folder created and all script exist there   c:\windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog.

• Edited by shehimkannur Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Have you tried the suggested method regarding that error? Any result?

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 6, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Problem Has been resolved after doing the below procedure.

Sysvol and Netlogon shares will be missing do not work

Run the following command on all domain controllers in the forest.

Net Stop NTFRS  (stop the file replication service)

Go Into Registry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup

Change the BurFlags DWORD to = D4 on the Primary Domain Controller and change to D2 on all of the backup domain controllers.

Start the NTFRS service again by using Net Start NTFRS command

On the server where you edited the BurFlags DWORD to D4 copy the folders in the folder NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog to C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\sysvol\yourdomain.localIn the Command box on the server where you set the DWORD to D4, type net start ntfrs.

Start the Net Logon Service 

• Marked as answer by shehimkannur Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the great share, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:46 AM
  • shehimkannur's solution did it for me. I didn't understand the last part that involves copying some folder to another folder. I haven't done it yet but my dcdiag is passing so I think my problem might be solved. Bookmarking just in case. Thx.
    • Proposed as answer by peterfu Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by peterfu Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:18 PM
    • Edited by peterfu Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:19 PM
    Sunday, April 22, 2018 7:18 PM