none
DPM 2012 R2 - How do you protect Hyper-V? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I'm looking for some general ideas on how best to backup Hyper-V VMs using DPM. We've been using DPM to backup Hyper-V ever since we started using Hyper-V, and we started using Hyper-V when Microsoft released it back in 2008. But I've never felt that it's ever sat right, it's never felt stable. Maybe we're just using it wrong.

Currently we have a 2012 R2 Hyper-V Cluster, consisting of 4 hosts, and 60+ VMs. The VMs are spread across 4 CSV volumes.

Up until recently our DPM admin had all the VMs in one protection group, running one back up per week. Which seemed to be OK. However as of last week this has all disintegrated into a mess of errors and failures. We are now re-thinking the frequency of backups, and the number of protections groups we have configured.

The problem you get when you have failed replicas is you now have a hump to get over with consistency checks, which really hits the network hard. This almost always results in Users feeling the pain, as servers become less responsive. We also get heartbeat failures reported in SCOM.

I've always made sure MaxAllowedParallelBackups was set to 1. This was major nightmare in the past, I believe this is better now, but it used to put the cluster under too much strain. We also throttle the bandwidth during the day.

I realise everyone's environment is different, but I'd really like to hear how others have it set up. I'd be really interested to know if anyone feels they have a completely stable backup regime.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew France - http://andrewsprivatecloud.wordpress.com

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:41 AM