Memory terminology and questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Could anyone help me with the terminology in Vista memory management?

screenshot

http://sl9zbq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pAdpjh6IDjv1Rhhxf4bbHiRDjwsSp8X9Et1nRioxJWd_juB6zMMYX4kIdfiaQFzBGTzD1H0lMGMLupHo3AVYBCpigo3gMlPta/mem.png?psid=1

I have a total of 3GB DDR2 memory. In task manager I see:

Physical memory (MB)

Total       2812

Cached    1458

Free         117

I am confused. What does "cached" mean? In the processor level, cache is a block of high-speed on-chip memory which is much faster than DDR2, and it is usually <=512 KB (L1, not sure of L2). But here the "cached" size is 1458MB, which obviously cannot be the processor cache.

Then does it just mean "memory" and uses "cache" to make it more understandable for general users? What does "Free" mean then? Why the equation

Total=Cache + Free

does not hold here?

Besides "cached" 1458 and "Free" 117, there are still 2812-1458-117=1237 MB. Although I see in

Kernel Memory (MB)

Total    294

Paged   232

Nonpaged 61

These add up to 294+232+61=587 MB, still much smaller than the "remaining" (might be incorrect) 1237 MB above. Where are the 1237-587=650 MB?

And what does "Paged" and "Nonpaged" mean here? Could anyone explain them to me?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I believe the following articals will give you the answer:

See details about your computer's performance using Task Manager

Task Manager

Meanwhile, type system information from start menu, you will obtain more information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:37 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 12:33 PM