Windows 7 Explorer hangs on rename, copy, delete, make director... possibly when external drive device appears in my computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Explorer hangs on rename, copy, delete when external drive device appears in my computer.

This seems happens when:
    An iPod Touch is connected and appears as drive.
    An HP printer with memory card is connected and appears as a drive.

It seems to stop when:
    I disconnect (right click disconnect) the printer drive from my computer.
    I remove the ipod touch from the computer.

I am not positive the external device drives are the problem, but there seems to be a correlation.

Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi blam,

Please first check if this Hotfix can resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, please access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, please run ShellExView  by the steps below to see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, March 12, 2010 9:45 AM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 8:02 AM