none
Separating values from custom properties for use with refiners

Question

• Dear all,

I'm trying to migrate a custom-made search portal (for office documents) to Sharepoint Online. The documents all have custom properties and some of those have multiple values separated with semicolons. Sharepoint has crawled all those properties but reads the multi-valued values literally.

How can I have them be interpreted as multiple values and then have a refiner with every single value instead of all the literal values?

Any help would be very very very much appreciated.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thomas_AIm,

There seems no OOB method to separate multiple-valued managed property as list of single values for refinement.

As a workaround, we could customize a display template for the refinement. Add logic to split properties according to the semicolon.

Here is a demo about achieving that for your reference:

https://hyankov.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/sharepoint-2013-refiner-multi-value-contains-instead-of-an-equals/

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Hi Linda Zhang,

Sorry for replying this late on your effort to provide me with an answer. The task has been on-hold for a while now, but I'm back to trying to fix my issue. Although the article and the code provided seems to be the good direction, I get a syntax error message when trying to apply it.

Maybe I need to alter some things since I am using SharePoint-Online instead of 2013?

Kind regards,

Thomas

• Edited by Thomas_Alm Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:31 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:06 PM
  • I have marked your reply as an answer, because I think it will really solve my problem. I just hope I could get some help with this:

Display Error: The display template had an error. You can correct it by fixing the template used in either the Web Part properties or Result Types.

Template '~sitecollection/_catalogs/masterpage/Display Templates/Filters/Filter_Contains_MultiValue.html' not found or has syntax errors. (LoadTemplate: )

(This is just a normal generic error message, only then in Dutch) Is it normal there is no url after LoadTemplate:?

• Edited by Thomas_Alm Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:09 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:56 PM