After upgrade to outlook 2013 Contacts have the default picture in reading pane RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows 8 on a domain (using a domain account not a Microsoft account) connecting to Exchange, all my Contacts were outlook contacts with pictures and other data, I could see the picture of the contact in the reading pane and people pane while using Outlook 2010.

After the upgrade to Outlook 2013 the contacts are not lost (I can see them in the People Hub) but it appears that they are unavailable in the reading pane because all I can see is the default picture (the default picture picture is also visible in the notifications).

If I put the mouse over the name of the people while in the reading pane all I can see is the card with the default info (the only data visible is that the contact is available in the next 8 hours), if I compose a new message and hover the name of the contact i can see the card with all the data (picture, company, etc.).

Is this the default behavior in Outlook 2013 if you are in a domain and not connected to any service or there is a way to show the picture of my contacts in every part of outlook?

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:06 PM

Answers

• No, it should be available still. Did you recreate this mail profile after the upgrade?

Try forcing a complete update of the Office Line Address Book via the Send/Receive tab-> Send/Receive Groups-> Download Address Book

Otherwise, reset the OAB by renaming your oab-file to .old when Outlook is closed. You'll find them here:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books\<Account GUID>

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Juan Zamudio Monday, November 5, 2012 10:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Juan Zamudio Monday, November 5, 2012 11:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juan Zamudio Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:03 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 10:26 PM

All replies

• No, it should be available still. Did you recreate this mail profile after the upgrade?

Try forcing a complete update of the Office Line Address Book via the Send/Receive tab-> Send/Receive Groups-> Download Address Book

Otherwise, reset the OAB by renaming your oab-file to .old when Outlook is closed. You'll find them here:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books\<Account GUID>

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by Juan Zamudio Monday, November 5, 2012 10:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Juan Zamudio Monday, November 5, 2012 11:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juan Zamudio Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:03 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 10:26 PM
  • I  renamed the oab's to make it work, everything is normal in the reading pane, but I still cant see the pictures in the email notifications.

Thanks for your time.

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I renamed the oab files and it worked temporarily until the system refreshed them with new oab files.  Prior to the refresh, there were only temporary files in the folder.

Now that the oab files have been refreshed from the server, its broken again.

• Edited by john7914 Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:23 PM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:23 PM
  • i was having the same issue but after I deleted all OAB folders completely it fixed the problem...

OAB folder is located here - If you don't see this path then you will need to show hidden files and folders.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:29 AM
  • This was a simple fix and completely solved the problem for me, too.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Worked for me too.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I've had same problem. Clean Windows 8 installation, Office 2013 ... Deleting oab solved the problem.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:17 PM
  • I tried to follow this solution, but there is no such thing as an "OAB" file in that section of the registry, or any other section of the registry.  Is there any other setting to look at, perhaps on the server side?  And how is Lync affecting all of this.  I feel it is the deep integration of Lync that is causing the problem.  I figured out a way of restoring contact pictures one at a time, but with nearly 2,000 contacts, that could take several months.
    Monday, June 2, 2014 2:01 PM