none
Separate log files during deployment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have this in my rules so during deployment, MDT is making a log file.

SLShareDynamicLogging=%DeployRoot%\Logs

However, I notice that this is dumping everything to a BDD.log during deployment. If I start multiple deployments at once, then all those deployments get thrown into the same log file. At the end of deployment, MDT sorts the log files into the machine name, but this means the BDD.log is filled with lines from other deployments.

Is it possible to change the name of BDD.log during deployment? Something like BDD_%MachineName%.log to avoid multiple deployments logging to the same file?

Monday, January 9, 2017 6:43 PM

Answers

• If you are actively diagnosing an issue SLShareDynamic=\\Server\Share\<SomethingUnique> and you will have that unique name in the folder.  If you just want deployment logs at the end in some central location then SLShare=\\Server\Share and you will have logs in a \\Server\Share\<Computer name> folder.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by EntegyMVP Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:04 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 10:17 PM

All replies

• If you are actively diagnosing an issue SLShareDynamic=\\Server\Share\<SomethingUnique> and you will have that unique name in the folder.  If you just want deployment logs at the end in some central location then SLShare=\\Server\Share and you will have logs in a \\Server\Share\<Computer name> folder.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by EntegyMVP Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:04 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 10:17 PM
  • As Ty said SLShareDynamic should only be used for troubleshooting purposes. Normally you should use the SLShare property.

Example:

SLShare=\\SERVER\LOG$

MDT will create folder using the computer name and store the log files in there. So long as the machines have unique names they will have their own log folders.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:32 PM