none
How do I revert to an older IE 10 build? RRS feed

• Question

• A user is asking me to revert his IE 10 to 10.0.9200.16750, would there be a way to do that? i.e by uninstalling some updates or even better as I already tried to remove IE 10 completely to install an older build I found, to then apply updates up to the build the user wants but the install is failing when I use this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/internet-explorer-10-details.aspx it worked when I used this link : http://www.oldversion.com/windows/internet-explorer-10-windows-7-x64 I was able to install IE 10.0.9200.16438, I have disabled IE automatic updates, and use the option in Windows Updates to check online for updates, I'm trying updates related to IE and a few other ones one by one to try to get to the desired build, IE current installed build is 10.0.9200.16443, now the only one remaining is update is an optional update named Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64 - based Systems, I installed it and now the IE build is 10.0.9200.16866. Would anyone know what steps should be taken to get IE to the 10.0.9200.16750 build?

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Yann,

I would ask why the user want's/needs to downgrade their IE version....

Generally IE updates within a Major version number are security related... rolling back IE10 minor versions could place the computer at risk.

viz: which Addon or site can't the user use?

The proper strategy is to upgrade to the most recent version supported by the operating system... this is now IE11 for Win7 and 8.1

The Windows Update rollback, uninstalls the current Major version, and reinstalls the previous Major version. You can use Programs and Features>Intalled updates to uninstall IE10 back to IE9, then install IE10.... WU will then prompt you to install any dependencies and updates...it is these updates that you want to manage....

Installing IE executables from a third-party is in breach of your company's IEAK license which states that you must source the exe's from MS sources.

these are public forums, we do not work for nor represent MS.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:12 AM
  • Hi Yann,

I would ask why the user want's/needs to downgrade their IE version....

Generally IE updates within a Major version number are security related... rolling back IE10 minor versions could place the computer at risk.

viz: which Addon or site can't the user use?

The proper strategy is to upgrade to the most recent version supported by the operating system... this is now IE11 for Win7 and 8.1

The Windows Update rollback, uninstalls the current Major version, and reinstalls the previous Major version. You can use Programs and Features>Intalled updates to uninstall IE10 back to IE9, then install IE10.... WU will then prompt you to install any dependencies and updates...it is these updates that you want to manage....

Installing IE executables from a third-party is in breach of your company's IEAK license which states that you must source the exe's from MS sources.

these are public forums, we do not work for nor represent MS.

Rob^_^

The user needs to reproduce a customer environment, this environment is probably not under his control hence why he wants to have this build. I understand the concerns of using resources from 3rd party websites and I'm evenrually going to remove IE10 again from his computer and use the installer for build 10.0.9200.16521 found here  http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/internet-explorer-10-details.aspx I tried to install updates 1 by 1 to reach the build he wants, I didn't try to do the opposite (installing latest build and remove updates one by one. User says that the customer has group policies and their system gets updated only twice a year or once... there is an issue in the customer's environment which is working fine in the user's local QA. He is not able to replicate the issue in his QA, the only difference between the client's servers and his servers is the IE 10 build, so he wants want to install the same build than his customer and replicate the issue to fix it.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:40 PM