none
Business Connectivity Services BCS from Project Server Reporting DB RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the requirement

- The are 2 farms A and farm B.  One of the Farm A has project site. 

- Project are created in project site in Farm A.  Data regarding project like ID, Name etc is required in sites in farm B.  Project_ID has been craeted as a Ecustom field in Farm A?

question

what will be the best approach to do this?

Is creating BCS using projectserver_Reporting database a good approach?

• Edited by pgshah570 Friday, July 25, 2014 3:34 PM conf
    Friday, July 25, 2014 3:34 PM

All replies

• Connecting to RDB, is OK. However the usefulness of the approach depends on how you are planning to use the data. If you are planning to populate the custom fields in Farm B, using BCS and data from Farm A, then there is no out of box way to do it. Enterprise Custom Fields do not recognize BCS. You will have to write a custom code or use a third party product to achieve that.

If you are just using this data to populate sharepoint lists/columns in Farm B, then yes, it can done quite easily.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, July 25, 2014 3:39 PM
  • My question would be is it a good approach to query project server reporting db.  Also there is a view "MSP_EpmProject_UserView" which has this ECF Project_ID.

Can i not create a BCS to create an external list?

Friday, July 25, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Yes, I do not see any issue with querying Reporting DB, using BCS. In fact, I myself used it ib several scenarios.  Please refer to Andrew's blog for several use cases for this. http://azlav.umtblog.com/?s=external+content+type

And yes, you can create an external list or an external column, to meet your needs. I was just pointing out that they cannot be written 'back' into enterprise custom fields without some custom code.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, July 25, 2014 8:29 PM