Does adding new server to existing SharePoint 2007 production environment cause outage to applications/service RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to increase our servers in existing production farm, and would like to understand when running SharePoint configuration wizard will there be any outage to existing sites/services (e.g search will be down if we are changing search topology, and sites will have any impact) 

Please let us know pros and cons of having a farm in multiple OS( i.e.  Windows server 2003 and windows server 2008 R2).

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi VDK,

you need to run SP configuration wizard on new front end server which you want to add in existing farm so for adding i do not think you need downtime however for search topology change you need search functionality outage.

Your 2nd question is pros and cons of having a farm in multiple OS.this mean you have server with different OS in the same farm ?

Regards

Soni K

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Thanks Soni.

While adding server to farm, we have noticed existing sites on server has small outage, could be because of config database in read only mode when updating the new server details in the farm. Wanted a confirmation if any one has noticed this? Is this outage/unavailability for seconds,  is it expected?

Yes agreed, Search needs a full functional outage.

Regarding 2nd Question: Yes we would like to add a new server with different OS and then remove old server after certain days. So would like to check what is the impact of having both servers in a farm.

Dinesh

• Edited by vdk114 Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:38 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Hello Dinesh,

The outages which you are experiencing is because SharePoint does IIS reset and stops timer job service when you run PSCONFIG. It also blocks connection to each database of SharePoint in SQL server so that it can modify the configuration database for recognizing new server.

Question 2 Answer is: SharePoint can be installed with different OS, but it would fail on the patch compatibility mode. You need to update windows server OS to recognize its as compatible software for SharePoint 2007. You won't be able to see much difference here but,some features like check-in checkout may fail.

Thank You, Pallav S. Srivastav ----- If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:13 AM
  • Hi Dinesh,

But if you have two existing front end server added in NLB then after IIS RESET on one front end server all load goes to another front end server so but we can consider minimal outage.

Regards

Soni K

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Not sure if SharePoint does IIS reset when we run PSCONFIG. (Running PSCONFIG on new server does it do IISReset in all other WFE's?)

Does that mean if my new server is not load balanced server we will not see any outage?

Dinesh MSDN

Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:38 PM
  • There should not be IIS reset on rest of the servers however PSConfig directly interacts with back-end DB which may bring little inconsistency to application. But as a best practice it is always advised to take outage for maintenance.

-prs

Friday, October 31, 2014 12:52 AM
  • Exactly this is what i am looking for, we know that there is a blip in application availability when we are adding a new server to farm. PSConfig interacts with back end DB (that is Config DB), so any read/locks to DB when updating new server details could lead to slight outage for sites. Lets me know if you think otherwise.

Lets say my wizard running time is 45 mins (time -depends on number of web apps in farm agreed), when and at which step in wizard does will cause this outage to applications?

And my thoughts on having different OS in a farm?

Dinesh

• Edited by vdk114 Friday, October 31, 2014 4:54 PM
    Friday, October 31, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi Dinesh,

You are correct. PSConfig picks content DB in sequence and locks content DB randomly. So you should assume flip for the duration of wizard run.

Multiple OS can be used in farm but I have not tested. There is no MS documentation for not using different OS. But yes I thing there may be a overhead in deploying the customization for fixing the compatibility.

http://serverfault.com/questions/174020/sharepoint-2007-and-its-underlying-operating-systems

-prs

Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:37 AM