none
Displaying Reminder Balloons for Advertised Programs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with getting a Reminder Balloon to show up for an advertised program without a mandatory assignment.  The program shows up in Run Advertised Programs, but I never get a reminder balloon.  My overall goal is to only display reminders to users with laptops so they're notified when a new application is available.  I hope I've included all pertinent information below...

Another question - Reminders will only apply to advertisements where "Display reminders according to the client agent reminder intervals" is checked, correct?  I'm trying to avoid having reminders displayed for everything that goes out.

I would appreciate any help on this, thank you!

1.  Advertised Programs Client Agent :
    General Tab
      Enable software distribution to clients (enabled)
      Allow user targeted advertisement requests (enabled)

Notification Tab
      Display a notification message (enabled)

2.  Computer Client Agent:
    General Tab
      Policy polling interval (minutes):  60

Reminders
      Deadline greater than 24 hours: 3 (hrs)
      Deadline less than 24 hours:  1 (hrs)
      Deadline less than 1 hour:  15 (mins)

3.  Program configuration:
    Environment
      Program can run: Whether or not a user is logged on
      Run mode: Run with admin rights
      Allow users to interact with program (enabled)

4.  Advertisement:
    Schedule
      No mandatory assignments

Interaction

Allow users to run the program independently of assignments
      Display reminders according to the client agent reminder intervals

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Reminders are only shown when your advertisements have a mandatory date (or software updates have a deadline). By default you can show the ballon popup in the notification area saying that an advertisement is ready (also for non-mandatory advertisements).

Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Reminders are only shown when your advertisements have a mandatory date (or software updates have a deadline). By default you can show the ballon popup in the notification area saying that an advertisement is ready (also for non-mandatory advertisements).

Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I agree with Kent but I've used this tool in the past for custom instructions
    http://blog.coretech.dk/confmgr07/config-mgr-tools/coretech-auto-install-warning-freeware/

Hope this helps
    G-Man8
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:09 PM
  • so for non mandatory advertisements, this has no effect?

will the popup stay in the tray until you run it or not?

also, I get one "new program available" balloon when its first advertised, then this balloon pops up randomly throughout the day, is this the expected behavior and what interval are the notifications then (or really random)?

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:57 PM