none
Tapes not added to protection group RRS feed

• Question

• I've been racking my head against the wall for a month trying to figure this out.  Installed DPM on a new server using our existing Tape Loader, erased all tapes in the library and they are showing as free.  However backup to tape continues to fail, it has only successfully backed up once, only 1 tape of 24 is associated with the protection group.  What did i miss? 
    Monday, July 29, 2013 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi

What are the details of the failed tape backup job ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 29, 2013 11:53 PM
  •  Mike, The error details are: The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired (8007009)).  Its listed for both of the protection group members.  I doubt there is a protection agent failure though as the disk backup replicas are working properly.  

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

How long does the job take to fail. Is any data transferred before it fails. If you perform a manual recovery point to tape does that work. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:48 AM
  • Fails within the first 3 minutes, last nights was 2:17 in, manual recovery point also fails. 
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:19 PM
  • It almost sounds like trouble communicating with the tape library.  Do fast and detailed inventories run successfully ?   Do the drives show up under the library properly, or as standalone drives ?

Please download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=885774776d4f197a&sc=documents&id=885774776D4F197A%21128

For tape library
    ================

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1 2 4 5

Description of the tests.

Test 1: Basic Configuration
    This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
    At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:
    • Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
    • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
    • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

Test 2: Mount/Dismount
    This test will pick a tape from the first available slot and perform a mount/dismount of that tape to/from a drive.

Test3: Drive Cleaning
    A cleaner cartridge in needed for this test to run. Please read the pre-requisites section for this test. If you are using Firestreamer or a VTL where you cannot remove/change tapes, please use the /ST flag of the tool to skip the cleaner test.

Test4: I/E Media
    This test will pick up the first available tape and move it to the I/E port and back. If your library/VTL does not have I/E ports the tool will automatically skip the test.

Test5: I/O
    This test will pick up the first available writable tape and write a few buffers to it and try reading what is written. The purpose of this test is only to check for reading/writing ability.  Any specific/transient errors in any drive have to be inspected using the Advance Mode.
     Warning
    This test will overwrite information in the tape. Ensure that the first available tape does not have important data on it.

Once complete, for any test failures, review the  LibraryTestTool-*-Curr.errlog files located in the directory you ran the tool from.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Mike, thanks for the quick replies.  I performed the tests and all four were successful.  

Link to log is here http://sdrv.ms/16zn9dZ 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

I see this is a IBM 35xx tape library.  Please add the RSMCompatMode registry key as outlined in this kb.

978901 Fast inventory fails when you try to use an IBM 35XX Series mainframe with Data Protection Manager 2007
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978901/EN-US

Then modify the protection group to remove long term tape protection, then add it back so we refresh the library settings.  Try a new manual backup.  If it still fails, please open a support incident for further troubleshooting. 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:02 PM