none
Master-project / subproject critical path RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I am using Project Professional for Office 365.

I have 10 projects and consolidated them into a master project.

I had a critical path for each subprojects before doing a master project. My projects share a resources pool and have different end dates.

After doing the master project, the longest projects (2 of them same duration) have critical path, the others no more. MS project considers the others like having positive total slack because they finish earlier than the longest project in the master project.

i hope I am clear, I make a simple example of what is happening:

Project A, total duration 10 days, has a critical path

Project B, total duration 14 days, has a critical path

If I consolidate A and B into a master project, B keeps it critical path, A lost it and MSProject indicates that A last task has a total slack of 4 days (therefore all previous tasks have positive slack as well)

My problem is that when I open each subproject individualy I would like to still be able to see their own critical paths. Is there a way or option to do so?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Mickael

Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Mickael,

First thing to do is to use of the following Schedule options : "Inserted Projects Are Calculated Like Summary Tasks" (File > Options > Schedule).

It will calculate the critical path throughout the master project, instead of calculating the critical path for each subproject.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Mickael25 Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:02 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Mickael,

First thing to do is to use of the following Schedule options : "Inserted Projects Are Calculated Like Summary Tasks" (File > Options > Schedule).

It will calculate the critical path throughout the master project, instead of calculating the critical path for each subproject.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Mickael25 Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:02 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thank you so much for this tip.

In fact I need to unselect the option you mentioned. (this option is selected by default in my case)

So I did it and all my critical paths came back in their own subprojects.

What I want is a critical path per project, not a critical path throughout the master project, so your answer is very helpful but the opposite way of your proposition.

Thanks.

Regards.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback and glad that it helps anyway!

Hope this helps,

Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Go to file, options, advanced. Down at the bottom select "calculate multiple critical paths"
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Go to file, options, advanced. Down at the bottom select "calculate multiple critical paths"

Thank you Trevor, so far the option from Guillaume Rouyre works for me.

But I keep your proposition in mind if I encounter further problem later on.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:43 AM