cant unlock bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i am on a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system and i recently encrypted one of my partition with Bitlocker. and just yesterday i wanted to turn off the bitlocker since i am using a dualboot system ( windows 7 and linux ) so while the process was carrie on there was an power outage the decryption faild .....and now when i try to unlock the drive it says "semaphore time out period has expired" and i really need the fils onsid th drive..

any suggestions appreciated :)

Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:03 AM

All replies

• somebody please help me i am in real trouble, anybody a geek or a microsoft guy please help, i got very imp data encrypted there....please!!!
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi, thanks a lot for ya reply, and the first 2 wont help so i ll 've to go with the 3rd.... like i searched for an hour in the microsoft forums but nothing...may b i ll v to give more time... and i dont rally wanna loose the data inside the drive, i ve got over 40 GB of important data in there...

anyways ll post the heads up later on as i get some solution :)

cheers,

hush

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried a safe-mode?

a. Restart the computer and then press “F8” when the system restarted.

b. Select Safe Mode and then Enter.

c. Then please try to unlock the driver and check if the issue could be resolved.

If the issue still persists in safe-mode, per the error message, the issue could be caused by network issue, we can try to Enable PMTU Black Hole Detection on the Windows-based hosts that will be communicating over a WAN connection. Follow these steps:

1.    Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

2.    Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip\parameters

3.    On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: EnablePMTUBHDetect
    Data Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

4.    Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note: Before that, please first back up the registry key.

If all these cannot resolve the issue, I suspect that there might be some system files corrupted, to repair them, we can perform an in-place upgrade by referencing the following Microsoft article:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope these have a little help.

Best regards,
    Spencer Shi

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

According the issue, you may use “manage-bde –resume” command to resume the decryption. Then try to unlock the partition after decryption. For example:

manage-bde –resume D:

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:19 AM
  • hi thanks a lot for all your time..... @zhen tan : i tried ya mthod but says your drive is locked, unlock ur drive and try again :\ .... any suggestion on this??
    and @ Spencer Shi-MSFT the regestry thing didn't help.... and and about the upgrade thing...its like my decription failed thats y i cant unlock it..i dont think its some problem with sys files... neways i ll once give it a try..thanks a lot for ya time
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:28 PM
  • The manage-bde command has many options. Please try:

C:\> manage-bde -ForceRecovery C:

Please revert back here if this does not work either. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:45 AM
  • hi, server baba well i tried the command but it says "ERROR: an error occured <code 0*80070057>:

the parameter is incorrect"
    i tried  it for may b a dozen times yet the same thing pops up :\
    any idea whats that.. and ya i was thinking if this prob will b solved is i rinstall th same version of windows...what say??
    neways thanks for ya time :)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:17 PM