Office 2007 licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed Office 2007 Standard on a Terminal Server 2008 (Word, Excel and Outlook)

Some of my users are connecting to the Terminal Server and have access to these applications.

Some of my users have their licence on their workstation for :

Office 2007 Basic Edition, some have Office 2007 Standard Edition and others have Office 2007 Small Business Edition.

Are they allowed to use the applications on the Terminal Server? Or I would need to buy other licences?
    Am I legal?

Thanks

Jean

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Jean,

Office is licensed Per Device, and in order to use it on a TS you need to have a version that includes network use rights which would be a volume license version.  What this means is you need a Office 2007 Standard volume license dedicated to each workstation that will be used to connect to your TS and run any Office application.  It does not matter if a workstation already has a different version of Office installed on it--those different versions do not provide the use rights to run a different version of Office on a server, or in many cases do not provide the right to run even the same version of Office on a server.

If you have workstations that already have a Office 2007 Standard volume license (or perhaps a 2007 Standard Retail with Active Software Assurance, if available) assigned to them then there is no need to purchase a license for those since they are already covered.

If you have any questions/concerns I recommend you download and read the latest Product Use Rights (PUR) document:

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Friday, November 16, 2012 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Jean,

I've tried this with office 2007 and it wouldn't allow me to install it. You need  a volume license version for for remote desktop services. I think it sold as per device so installing it on your server would count as just one device.

Cheers

• Edited by Mrzeeman Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mrzeeman Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Hi Jean,

Office is licensed Per Device, and in order to use it on a TS you need to have a version that includes network use rights which would be a volume license version.  What this means is you need a Office 2007 Standard volume license dedicated to each workstation that will be used to connect to your TS and run any Office application.  It does not matter if a workstation already has a different version of Office installed on it--those different versions do not provide the use rights to run a different version of Office on a server, or in many cases do not provide the right to run even the same version of Office on a server.

If you have workstations that already have a Office 2007 Standard volume license (or perhaps a 2007 Standard Retail with Active Software Assurance, if available) assigned to them then there is no need to purchase a license for those since they are already covered.

If you have any questions/concerns I recommend you download and read the latest Product Use Rights (PUR) document:

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Friday, November 16, 2012 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:50 PM