none
Can not remote access a rebuilt computer

    Question

  • SBS 2011 SP1 with a Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 client

    Client computer had a SSD failure.  Client was rebuilt fresh.  Original client computer was deleted from the SBS server, then //connect was run from the fresh client box.  The same name was used for the new client.

    Everything seems to work just fine except for remote access, either from the web or from the server.  On a connection attempt, the following error message is displayed;

    Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of the following reasons:

    1)Remote access to the server is not enabled (it is)

    2)The remote computer is turned off (it's not)

    3)the remote computer is not available on the network (All network functions appears to be working.  The client can connect to all network shares, printers, and databases)

    What am I missing?

    Monday, April 17, 2017 5:54 PM

Answers

  • Thanks Larry.  Yes, remote access was verified from several different computers both via web and from the LAN.  All settings in the client were verified.

    I did solve the issue.  DHCP had assigned a new IP to the client machine, but DNS was looking at the old IP.  Once the IP in DNS matched, it started to work.  Next time I'll add connecting by IP to the trouble shooting procedure.

    The server had been rebooted and the client several times.

    Monday, April 17, 2017 11:42 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Please verify if you can RDP from any computer on the LAN to the problematic system. 

    On the server, in the SBS console, Network, Computers, right click the computer, properties, user access, verify that the user has a Yes under remote access.

    In ADUC, domain, My Business, Computers, SBSComputers.  Verify the system is in this OU.   right click the computer, properties, Dial-in tab.  Ensure "control access through NPS Network Policy is selected.

    Restart the system at least twice to ensure policies have been applied.

    Check the RWA access and let us know the result.


    Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

    Monday, April 17, 2017 10:22 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Larry.  Yes, remote access was verified from several different computers both via web and from the LAN.  All settings in the client were verified.

    I did solve the issue.  DHCP had assigned a new IP to the client machine, but DNS was looking at the old IP.  Once the IP in DNS matched, it started to work.  Next time I'll add connecting by IP to the trouble shooting procedure.

    The server had been rebooted and the client several times.

    Monday, April 17, 2017 11:42 PM
  • Glad you got it sorted.  And thanks for letting us all know the solution.  Can't say I remember hearing of this one before.  OTOH, there is a lot I don't remember.  <g>

    Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    Thank you for taking the time to have an update about this thread.

    You can click “Mark as answer” on your reply which provides detail solution. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

    Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:58 AM
    Moderator