BSoD during installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been having a problem installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client 12.1 (v12.1.2100.2093) onto a Dell OptiPlex 380 Windows 7 Professional SP1 (32-bit) computer. I have an open case with Symantec and they asked me to contact Microsoft since the memory dump points to NETIO.SYS and not some Symantec module. I can post the BSoD screen or memory dump if requested.

I also converted the physical machine into a VMware image and was able to reproduce the BSoD on VMware Workstation to show that it is not hardware related. The user does not have any issues with any other programs and never gets a BSoD except when trying to install the SEP Client software. I have several other Dell OptiPlex 380's where the installation went smoothly and did not exhibit this BSoD. I don't plan to re-install Windows because of this. Anyone have any ideas before I change AV vendors?

Thank you,

Mike

Friday, May 31, 2013 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Problem solved! Thanks to everyone who tried to help. It turns out that the cause of these BSoD's was due to the "Symantec SMR Utility Service 3.1.1" driver that was on this computer for some reason. It is installed by Norton Power Eraser, but it should remove itself once the computer reboots after running a scan. However, that does not seem to be the case here. It is possible that the user ran this utility in the past and remnants of it remained.

I found Article ID: TECH201909 on Symantec's support site which tells you how to manually remove it. Once I removed it from the system, I was able to install the SEP client 12.1.2100.2093 without any further issues.

Thanks again,

Mike

P.S. How long does it take to "verify" my account before this forum allows me to post links or images?

• Marked as answer by CiscoKid8 Monday, June 3, 2013 8:53 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:52 PM

All replies

• Try to reinstall network drive. Use original driver from computer vendor (not driver from MS update.)

Upload minidump to SkyDrive and give us the reference to this/these file/s.

Much faster is the use of Nirsoft BSOD viewer that give you answer on problems. If the problem persists and you do not want advanced analytical tools, use SkyDrive.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Try to reinstall network drive. Use original driver from computer vendor (not driver from MS update.)

Upload minidump to SkyDrive and give us the reference to this/these file/s.

Much faster is the use of Nirsoft BSOD viewer that give you answer on problems. If the problem persists and you do not want advanced analytical tools, use SkyDrive.

Regards

Milos

Thanks for your suggestions. I already tried re-installing the Broadcom NIC driver from Dell as well as the latest driver from Broadcom but it didn't fix the problem. Also, the BSoD occurs even when running the VMware image of the computer. Under VMware, it's using generic Intel NIC drivers, so I can't blame Broadcom for this issue. I tried inserting a screen capture or link to a minidump, but the forum will not allow me to do so until they verify my account. I will do so as soon as I'm allowed.

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Hello,

Blue screens are actually done by Windows itself for it shuts down your system before damage can occur.

NETIO.sys is a Windows driver and it has to do with networking/internet. Update your wireless/NIC drivers. 

Make sure you have the Latest Network Drivers installed and also make sure there is no softwares like utorrent installed on the client machine.

Hope that helps!!

Monday, June 3, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Hello,

Problem solved! Thanks to everyone who tried to help. It turns out that the cause of these BSoD's was due to the "Symantec SMR Utility Service 3.1.1" driver that was on this computer for some reason. It is installed by Norton Power Eraser, but it should remove itself once the computer reboots after running a scan. However, that does not seem to be the case here. It is possible that the user ran this utility in the past and remnants of it remained.

I found Article ID: TECH201909 on Symantec's support site which tells you how to manually remove it. Once I removed it from the system, I was able to install the SEP client 12.1.2100.2093 without any further issues.

Thanks again,

Mike

P.S. How long does it take to "verify" my account before this forum allows me to post links or images?

• Marked as answer by CiscoKid8 Monday, June 3, 2013 8:53 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:52 PM