Block MS Building Blocks by GPO? RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently rolling out Office 2016 and reviewing our Office 2010 setup to see what we can improve.

We have a corporate Building Blocks set up via Administrative Templates/GPO.

We also have a "blank" template which we copy on install to overwrite the local Built-in Building Blocks to block the MS defaults.

Is there a way to do the latter using Admin Templates / GPO? Or is the blank template still the best way?

Dan Kelly

Thursday, March 12, 2020 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank Charles for kind note. Based on my research, there is no such group policy setting in Office Admin Templates to disable/block build-in building blocks in Word.

From my point of view, Charles's sggestion that using the blank template to replace Word's "Built-In Building Blocks.dotx" is very helpful. 

Considering that manual replacing will be a lot of work for a large organization/enterprise, it may be possible to distribute the the blank template to replace Word build-in building blocks template via GPO. It's just like deploying Office Word Template via GPO (Group Policy)

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can put the blank template (named as Built-In Building Blocks.dotx) as source on a network shared folder. 

Use the following path as Destination file:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\14\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2010,
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\15\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2013, 
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\16\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2016/Office 2019/Office 365.

Here are two thread on using Group policy preferences to copy files: Group policy preferences copy filesGroup Policy Preferences Files Replace.

If you have any question on using Group Policy, you can ask questions in Windows Server > Group Policy forum for help. 

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Friday, March 13, 2020 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by dankell Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:20 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2020 9:35 AM

All replies

• Just a note that I referred Dan here when the question was posted in the Microsoft Answers forum. I suggested he was more likely to get help with policies here. I suggested using the blank template, but that is a lot of work with a large organization.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, March 12, 2020 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank Charles for kind note. Based on my research, there is no such group policy setting in Office Admin Templates to disable/block build-in building blocks in Word.

From my point of view, Charles's sggestion that using the blank template to replace Word's "Built-In Building Blocks.dotx" is very helpful. 

Considering that manual replacing will be a lot of work for a large organization/enterprise, it may be possible to distribute the the blank template to replace Word build-in building blocks template via GPO. It's just like deploying Office Word Template via GPO (Group Policy)

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

You can put the blank template (named as Built-In Building Blocks.dotx) as source on a network shared folder. 

Use the following path as Destination file:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\14\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2010,
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\15\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2013, 
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\16\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx for Office 2016/Office 2019/Office 365.

Here are two thread on using Group policy preferences to copy files: Group policy preferences copy filesGroup Policy Preferences Files Replace.

If you have any question on using Group Policy, you can ask questions in Windows Server > Group Policy forum for help. 

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Friday, March 13, 2020 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by dankell Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:20 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2020 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 10:38 AM
  • Herb thanks for the reply, and thanks to Charles for pointing us in the right direction.

It's a shame that there is no way to turn off the Built-In templates, especially when there are Admin Templates for disabling other functionality.

It's definitely easier to manage a corporate identity when users aren't being bombarded with "off book" options.

In the end we have saved a blank document as a "Built-In building Blocks" which seems to have done the trick

Dan Kelly

Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:24 PM
  • One point of clarification: It cannot be a blank "document."

It can be a blank .dotx or .dotm "template."

It may not seem sensible to call something that is blank a "template," but in Word jargon it makes a world of difference.

I am sure that Dan knows this and it is easy to say the sensible thing, but my comments are for others who may find this thread in the future.

Templates in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Friday, March 20, 2020 2:37 AM