none
Windows 8.1 IE 11 aks for choose default browser each time after restart RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 8.1 computers with IE 11 installed (version 11.0.9600.18350, updates version: 11.0.32) we experience choose default browser website (one tab in IE) each time when we open IE (after restart computer). Below screenshot in Polish language but You can see what I mean.

Then we I click blue button to choose default browser and choose IE new window is opening which looks like Edge - full screen mode with address bar on the bottom of the screen.

Two questions then:

1. How to fix it that IE will remember default browser and not ask each time for this

2. Is there any Edge browser on Windows 8.1 ?

• Edited by bbelko Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:52 AM change
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Uninstall the network versions of Firefox and Chromium/Canary and install the standalone product versions which do not allow users to change the default web browser. (see the vendors download pages, select the standalone versions to install)

NOTE:!important... before uninstalling gecko or webkit browsers, first close the browser, then reset IE as the default web browser, as the uninstaller for those injins does not gracefully restore the machine defaults.... see the instructions below.

or

from chromium, menu charm>Settings, uncheck the option to make Chrome your default web-browser. Below is a screen shot of the settings tab from my standalone installation in which the Default web browser settings are disabled.

there are similar settings in FX.... I use the Waterfox build (x64) which offers a standalone build.

Other gecko or webkit UserAgents also have similar settings.

To reset IE as your default web browser for web files ((x)html), close all open web browsers, then select Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs tab, check/click "Make internet explorer the default web browser" (or similar wording... I'm using WinX)

There are also settings in GPO to prevent other web browsers from making themselves the default (Always check if IE is the default web browser)

2. On win8.1 the Frameless version of IE is called Immersive IE... from memory it should be listed on the Start or Quick Launch menus. It (Immersive IE) is the predecessor to WindowsX Edge... You should consider upgrading to Windows 10 anniversary edition, which was first offered as a free upgrade for win7 and win8x over a year ago. Immersive IE and Edge are quite dis-similar (though the core properties are addon and plugins free html5 adaptive browsing with touch support)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, October 21, 2016 12:15 AM