none
Cannot Identify Unknown LTO-3 tapes with DPM 2010 on Dell PowerVault 124T RRS feed

• Question

• LTO-3 Tapes (new and used) are coming up as 'Unknown' in DPM 2010 PowerVault 124T library...thus I cannot Mark as Free.

- DPM 2010 running on 64-bit 2008 Server

- PowerVault 124T has latest Dell firmware

- Tried using 'mytape.exe'...succeeds in erasing tape but still cannot identify it after erase

Is anyone else using a Dell PowerVault 124T with DPM 2010?

Thanks,

Virgil

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

• DPM 2010 was able to erase and label the tapes as 'Free' after I used a cleaning tape to clean the autoloader drive.  Issue may have been caused by a dirty drive the whole time.
    • Marked as answer by vur.juhl Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:32 PM

All replies

• You should not have to erase a "New" tape for DPM to mark it free.  DPM should mark it free after selecting the "identify unknown tape" link.

Just for grins, lets do the erase via the DPM GUI after enabling short erase.

Short Erase

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default vale:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by khemarin Set Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Mike,

I edited the registry and when I 'Erase Tape' the status changes to 'Marked for erase and waiting for drive' for around 15-20secs (doesn't look like the 124T Autoloader is picking up the tape and placing it in the drive) and goes back to 'Tape available'.  The Tape Label is still marked as 'Unknown' and the 'Mark tape as free' is always greyed out.  Even if I run the powershell script to free the tape manually, the Tape label changes to 'Free (contains data)' but when I click on 'View Tape List' in the Protection Group section, I don't see any tapes listed like followed:

Number of tapes:0

Tapes online: 0

Tapes offline: 0

Does 64-bit DPM 2010 on 2008 Server support the Dell PV124T?

Thanks again,

Virgil

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Another thing to note is that I am using the default 'LTO Tape drive' drivers that comes with 2008 Server (IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI).  I have also upgraded the PowerVault to the latest V76.0 firmware.
    • Marked as answer by vur.juhl Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by vur.juhl Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:12 PM
  • DPM 2010 was able to erase and label the tapes as 'Free' after I used a cleaning tape to clean the autoloader drive.  Issue may have been caused by a dirty drive the whole time.
    • Marked as answer by vur.juhl Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:32 PM