none
Bitlocker - restore UNENCRYPTED backup image to ENCRYPTED hard drive space RRS feed

• Question

• am experienced with backup of encrypted drives/partitions (they turn into unencrypted) and restoring to hard drive (as unencrypted) and re-encrypting them.  but that is mainly with desktops, and i can yank drives out, etc.   I use paragon Hard drive suite to do this, am comfortable with it

I now have a Samsung Glaxy TabPro S (similar to surface pro 4).

all self-contained, etc.  SO, I have C: drive (or partition, or whatever it exists as) as Bitlocker'ed.    I do an IMAGE backup of WHOLE hard drive (has the 100 mb initial partition, the C: drive UNLOCKED partition backup, teh recovery partition backup, etc).

NOW, if my samsung windows system decides to fade out, and I need to restore the C: partition (which is unencrypted as teh backup image), can I RESTORE this directly over top of the BITLOCKER'ed C: drive partition, on the hard drive?

I am trying to get all the tech data on this unit, it is very difficult to locate, to see how to boot up from an external source, versus booting from the internal drive, etc.

but assuming I can boot from my Paragon Win-PE environment, and can SEE the internal drive, I'd like to be able to perform the above operations.   

Thanks for replies

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:40 PM

All replies

• You can restore right over it. It will boot and you can re-encrypt again.

Try it out in a VM.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:34 PM
  • thanks for reply.

QUESTION - "try it out in a VM" - how to test this out?  I'm familiar wit VM's, but isn't a VM just a file itself, on another drive?  I did not believe it had partitions inside itself?

thanks

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:12 AM
  • It has virtual partitions and we can test whatever bitlocker or backup functionality as if it was for real.

Starting with win10 anniversary update (v1607), hyper-v even offers virtual TPMs.

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:13 AM
  • i've used oracle VMware for virtual systems - will that do it also? - i've not used hyper-v
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:21 AM
  • Sure.

It will not offer virtual TPMs, though, but you can activate a GPO that allows bitlocker usage without TPMs.

Friday, March 31, 2017 11:30 AM
  • thanks very much.  I'll experiment with it.  I have some spare drives lying around.

I did get my samsung BIOS settings tested, and am now able to boot from a USB device, with my paragon software on it.  so I can now see the partitions.

working with small tablets is a different world than desktops;  theory is the same, but not being able to access the guts of the stuff makes it all the more important to be careful to not blow up the only working drive in the unit !

but I'm getting there !

Friday, March 31, 2017 1:01 PM