none
What is the point of the VMM Backup Component? RRS feed

• Question

• DPM includes special support for protecting System Center Virtual Machine Manager installations. This is evident in the support matrix and in DPM Console, which shows VMM Express Writer as somthing we can protect for servers where VMM is installed.

As far as I can tell, all this does is to protect the SQL Server database, which VMM uses. DPM and its users already know how to protect SQL Server databases, so I do not see that as much value.

Additionally, the specialized implementation for protecting VMM actually prevents us from making online backups to Azure of the VMM Database. The Wizard simply says "checkboxes for unsupported data sources are grayed out", on the Specify Online Protection Data tab of the protection group wizard. And then I cannot put a checkmark next to "\VMM Backup Component".

Seems somewhat obstructionist. What is the point?

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

• Sorry for resurrecting my own old thread.

And thank you (belatedly) for answering, Markus.

This is still the same situation for me in DPM 2016 (all new install).

Why is DPM not able to enable Online Protection for the VMM Backup Component?

Actually, it is even worse: After attempting to add protection for VMM to an existing PG without Online Protection, I get this error on the initial replica job:

Affected area: \VMM Backup Component

Occurred since: 28-10-2017 15:00:03

Description: 

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for VMM Express Writer \VMM Backup Component on vmm3.rapidis.local for following reason:
     (ID 3170)

The DPM job failed for VMM Express Writer \VMM Backup Component on [computername] because the protection agent did not have sysadmin privileges on the SQL Server instance. (ID 33424 Details: )

Recommended action: Add 'NT Service\DPMRA' to the sysadmin role on the SQL Server instance.

Wasn't that exactly what the VMM Backup Component was supposed to do automatically?

I went ahead and added DPMRA as sysadmin and after a consistency check, the replica appeared to be ok.

But I also noticed that - indeed - now I could simply protect the database with SQL Server Protection. So I did that and now I can also enable Online Protection.

So I think I answered my own question: The VMM Backup Component in DPM is utterly pointless.

• Marked as answer by ThomasIsr Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:19 PM
    • Edited by ThomasIsr Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:21 PM
    Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

Basically the "VMM Backup Component" is a way to backup the Virtual Machine manager database without modifying any SQL permissions. DPM will take advantage of the VMM Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to call SQL and create a backup of the configuration database.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Sorry for resurrecting my own old thread.

And thank you (belatedly) for answering, Markus.

This is still the same situation for me in DPM 2016 (all new install).

Why is DPM not able to enable Online Protection for the VMM Backup Component?

Actually, it is even worse: After attempting to add protection for VMM to an existing PG without Online Protection, I get this error on the initial replica job:

Affected area: \VMM Backup Component

Occurred since: 28-10-2017 15:00:03

Description: 

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for VMM Express Writer \VMM Backup Component on vmm3.rapidis.local for following reason:
     (ID 3170)

The DPM job failed for VMM Express Writer \VMM Backup Component on [computername] because the protection agent did not have sysadmin privileges on the SQL Server instance. (ID 33424 Details: )

Recommended action: Add 'NT Service\DPMRA' to the sysadmin role on the SQL Server instance.

Wasn't that exactly what the VMM Backup Component was supposed to do automatically?

I went ahead and added DPMRA as sysadmin and after a consistency check, the replica appeared to be ok.

But I also noticed that - indeed - now I could simply protect the database with SQL Server Protection. So I did that and now I can also enable Online Protection.

So I think I answered my own question: The VMM Backup Component in DPM is utterly pointless.

• Marked as answer by ThomasIsr Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:19 PM
    • Edited by ThomasIsr Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:21 PM
    Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:19 PM