Access to skype business from outside with laptop ... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I fee weeks ago my skype business works great with my cell phone ( Android & Ios ), but when I try to logon with the same configuration with my laptop don't connect.

Any have an idea why ???

Kind regards.

Monday, October 22, 2018 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Penny,

Which error does it report when you try to log on?

Could you still log on with your cell phone right now?

Besides, have you tried with another PC to sign in, does it work on other devices?

If it only impacts your own PC, please make sure you’ve installed the latest Skype for Business and try as follows:

1. Sign out Skype for Business -> delete sign-in information-> exit SFB.         

2. Delete sip folder under: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync.

Note: You might see two subfolders under "Office" which are "15.0" and "16.0".

For locating the specific cache files actually where they are, it depends on the exact edition that you installed, you could check it by clicking "Help", then navigate to "About Skype for Business" in the client to see the version.

3. Re-connect and check if this helps you fix this issue.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Thanks very much for your quick replay and sorry for my late answer.

Let me answer your questions first:

-Don't send me any error only says connecting and never connected.

- Yes all my clients are with the same issue, ( in this moment I put the configuration manually internal and external server like the cell phone and never connects ).

- Yes the cell phones works great without any issue ( Android and Ios ).

I try the solution you send me but locally works fine outside don't work.

Thanks very much.

Kind regards.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Hey,

Assuming you are the Skype for Business server admin? if yes questions/points for you .

1. Was it working in past? 
    2. Do have Skype for Business Edge server deployed in your Skype for business infra?
    3. Edge server is must required in order to have the external access (sign-in from external network).

If you have a Edge server already deployed, check below,

1. Check Skype for Business services in Edge server is running fine.
    2. Check the connectivity between Edge server's internal interface and Frontend servers (Port 5061 TCP)
    3. Ensure the Port 5061 & 443 TCP is open bidirectional on your External firewall for your Access Edge IP.

I also got to see that you use the same configuration in Skype for Business desktop client what you use in Mobile clients :

Typically in the Mobile manual configuration, you will input the Web services FQDN like below,

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} </style>

External Address : https://<ExtPoolFQDN>/Autodiscover/autodiscoverservice.svc/Root

Internal Address : https://<IntPoolFQDN>/AutoDiscover/autodiscoverservice.svc/Root

However the above configuration isn't applicable for Skype for Business Desktop/Laptop clients, The Desktop/Laptop clients use the Skype for Business Edge server to sign-in when connected to External network. Ensure you have the Edge server deployed in your infra..

Based on your feedback for above items, will dig further into your issue.

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for your quick replay Neerajan.

Yes I'm the skype admin :D

For your questions:

1. No, our system is really new.

2. No, I don't have edge server.

3. Ok, so for specially laptops is needed the Edge server right ???

So my next step is deploy the edge server ???

Kind regards.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:56 PM
  • Yes, you are right, you need to have Edge server in order to deploy the External access for your Skype for Business users.

Reference Articles to deploy Edge server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy-edge-server/deploy-edge-server

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/03/skype-for-business-2015-edge-server-deployment/

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Neeranjan !!!

I have a last question for edge server you recommend me use a other server different then I have in this momento for the regular installation skype business right ???

Thanks very much.

Kind regards.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:26 PM
  • Yes, you need to have a brand new server with Windows 2012 / 2012 R2 OS and this server must be resided in Perimeter (DMZ) network.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Friday, October 26, 2018 4:25 AM
  • Ok !!!

Perfect, my last last question :P

You have any site have the document step by step to create this server ???

Thanks very much.

Kind regards.

Friday, October 26, 2018 8:30 PM
  • For setting-up this server in DMZ, you need to liaise with your Wintel team.

For installing the required application (Pre-req, Skype binaries) and configuration, refer to the below articles :

Reference Articles to deploy Edge server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/deploy/deploy-edge-server/deploy-edge-server

http://blog.schertz.name/2016/03/skype-for-business-2015-edge-server-deployment/

Saturday, October 27, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Are there any updates for this issue, if the reply is helpful, please try to mark it as an answer,  it will help others who have similar issue.

Friday, November 9, 2018 6:41 PM