none
migrating DNS from linux to Windows server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to migrate our primary recursive DNS server from Linux to Windows. I have setup a secondary server and i have transferred all the Zones. As it is written in other threads, I have to change the zones to primary and then remove the old Linux server from the network and change the IP of the new server to the IP of the old Linux server. My question is how long two primary servers can parallely working? Is generally possible that two Primary working at the same time? I'm asking this question to know if any problem may come up during the migration.

Many thanks and best regards,

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:06 AM

Answers

• the time between the final zone sync and taking over the IP of the old server will have to be minimised yes.
    • Marked as answer by Panymony Friday, November 18, 2016 9:58 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Yes, in this scenario you need to be quick: shut down the Linux server, change IP on the new server, reboot new server and, as soon as it comes online, change zone type on the new server to primary.

Gleb.

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:49 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:11 AM

All replies

• the second they become primary they will start to go out of sync. There is no way to sync primaries unless its an AD integrated zone.
    Monday, November 14, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply,

its a standalone server.

So do u mean that i have to be very fast in changing the role and IP addresses otherwise i will get issues?

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:43 AM
  • the time between the final zone sync and taking over the IP of the old server will have to be minimised yes.
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Yes, in this scenario you need to be quick: shut down the Linux server, change IP on the new server, reboot new server and, as soon as it comes online, change zone type on the new server to primary.

Gleb.

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:49 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:11 AM
  • Many thanks for your replies, very helpful.

Best regards,

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:51 AM