Check for Slide Updates dialog box does not appear when direct linking to file in library RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a link page that consists of several direct links to PowerPoint files which live in a document library.  Most of these files link to a slide library for common slides.   When any user, regardeless of permissions, clicks on these direct links to files in IE9, there is a dialogue box asking to Open, Save or Save As.  

Selecting Open does open the file and prompt for check out yet there is no dialogue box that appears indicating the file is checking the slide library for updates. A user must check out the file before they can then manually invoke the Check for Updates command.

These files are in a library designed to be templated files so only a few authors have Contribute or beyond permissions.  We don't want users editing these files so they aren't able to check them out.

This happens whether I link to the files using http://path or [[List:Library/path]] methods. 

Everything works fine if one where to navigate into the library and folder hierarchy to get to the file but that's what I'm trying to simplify by creating the link page.

What can I do in order to ensure that when users open the files as they would normally anticipate that the prompt for checking the slide library is occurring?

• Edited by Michael_UTSA Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

If you access the .PPTX file via the URL in the browser directly, it cannot popup the “Check for Slide Updates” dialog.

But you can create a web part page which could be add the Content Editor Web Part, then you can use the IE Developer Tools (F12)  “Select Elements by Click” to find the PPTX file URL in your document library. And then copy the code format like this,

<a onclick="return DispEx(this,event,'TRUE','FALSE','FALSE','SharePoint.OpenDocuments.3','0','SharePoint.OpenDocuments','','','','1','0','0','0x7fffffffffffffff')" onfocus="OnLink(this)" href="/Doc/a.pptx">Link Name</a>

Note: change the “/Doc/a.pptx” to your PPTX file absolute URL,  add the link name and close the tag.

Then paste the code to the Content Editor Web Part in your web part page.

Check the result, it should be popped up the dialogue firstly when open the PPTX file.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:36 AM