none
Blocking Microsoft Accounts RRS feed

• Question

• We had a situation where a user added their work account and Microsoft account to their domain account.

When they went to use Office 365, it logged in and used their Microsoft Account when it should have been the work account.

Does anyone know how to prevent adding a Microsoft Account to the domain account?

Their is the GPO "Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts" but this only seems to work with Windows 8.1.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:10 AM

Answers

• After testing this myself...

It seems that it goes through the process of adding the account, but when you go back to the accounts setting page, it's not listed.

So it kind of works, but it would be better if the option was removed or greyed out with a red note stating that the setting has been removed by the administrator.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:24 AM

All replies

• wi7bit,

The policy would work in Windows 10 build 10240 Enterprise edition.

Under: GPO_name\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

Reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj966262(v=ws.10).aspx

See the effects at my side:

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:34 AM
  • That's not the setting I want to block. When you join a domain, that setting is removed.

The one I'm talking about is at the bottom:

And if your telling me that the setting "Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts" only works on the enterprise version then I think a lot of people are going to have a problem.

I should think that most small business that have to use Office365 (because of the Server Essentials) would want to block this and most small businesses I know use the Pro addition of Windows.

Do you know of a definitive list of GPO's that no longer work on the Pro version? If there are too many, then I may consider going back to 8.1 and never upgrading our workstations.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:51 AM
  • wi7bit,

My apology.

I mean I tested this on Windows 10 build 10240 enterprise version.

I setup another Virtual Machine of Windows 10 professional, and comfirmed that this policy would also work.

For the Add a Microsoft Account and the add work/school account link, they both seems to be not working regardless of the policy settings.

I will do more tests here, and if any further results, will post back.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:53 AM
  • After testing this myself...

It seems that it goes through the process of adding the account, but when you go back to the accounts setting page, it's not listed.

So it kind of works, but it would be better if the option was removed or greyed out with a red note stating that the setting has been removed by the administrator.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:24 AM