none
questions about modifying existing RBS lookup table (Project Server 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are looking to expand our Project Server usage into a completely different deparment and would like to edit our RBS lookup table as stated below.  I just want to confirm that I won't break anything before I make these changes:

• Can I add another top-level entry to the table (so there will be two Level 1 rows)?  Or can there only ever be one Level 1 entry?
    • If I change the name of the existing level 1 item, will that have any adverse effects on anything?

Example:

now it looks like this    1. executives

2. directors

3. Team X

3. Team Y

I'd like it to look like this     1. exec dept A

2. dir dept A

3. team A, etc...

1. exec dept B

2. dir dept B, etc...

Thanks for your assistance

• Edited by Scott_CF Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:37 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:32 PM

Answers

• Scott,

• There is no limitation on Level 1 Rows. You can add more.
    • There is no adverse effect if you change the name of a level. Users will start seeing the new name in Reports etc.,

Couple of points to consider, though:

1) You might want to review the RBS based permissions and make sure the new structure still aligns with what you want to do. For example, in your new structure, Exec Dept A may not see Exec Depart B 's projects, in some cases ( just an example). 

2) Any changes on the Resource Information will cause Project Detail Pages in PWA to show a "Resource Sync Required" error in red, which is not a big deal, and will go away with a save, but might be a good idea to let users know ahead.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:07 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Scott,

• There is no limitation on Level 1 Rows. You can add more.
    • There is no adverse effect if you change the name of a level. Users will start seeing the new name in Reports etc.,

Couple of points to consider, though:

1) You might want to review the RBS based permissions and make sure the new structure still aligns with what you want to do. For example, in your new structure, Exec Dept A may not see Exec Depart B 's projects, in some cases ( just an example). 

2) Any changes on the Resource Information will cause Project Detail Pages in PWA to show a "Resource Sync Required" error in red, which is not a big deal, and will go away with a save, but might be a good idea to let users know ahead.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:07 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:02 PM
  • We are fine with the Level 1's not being able to view the other Level 1 projects.  Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Prasanna!

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:07 PM