none
External email suddenly not being received RRS feed

• Question

• I have read through a bunch of these, but can't seem to find exactly what I have going on.

The server consistently stops receiving email from outside the domain after about an hour of restarting it. I found that restarting the microsoft exchange transport service fixes it in the same way that restarting the server does.

This issue began after I ran windows update on the mail server, then updated the exchange certificate. I rolled this back to troubleshoot with no luck; it had been reporting that the ssl cert was about to expire in the system logs; i tried to self sign temporarily.

I notice the backup system (unitrends) isn't succeeding every night. It throws errors every morning that says this: "(id 19364) Unable to perform backup operation, detecting that selected 'Microsoft Exchange Writer' is in failed state!" Is this related? The whole server seems fubar to me.

Does anyone have any kind of material to help me troubleshoot this? Strangely, I can restart the transport service and it will receive external email for a few hours before pooping out again.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please make sure firewall is not blocking exchange traffic.
    Please make sure MS exchange Transport service is started. If possible.
    Send an email from OWA and send an email to yourself and post the result if you have any error or not received.
    Please make sure anonymous is ticked in Default Receive connector properties.

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:32 PM
  • I have read through a bunch of these, but can't seem to find exactly what I have going on.

The server consistently stops receiving email from outside the domain after about an hour of restarting it. I found that restarting the microsoft exchange transport service fixes it in the same way that restarting the server does.

This issue began after I ran windows update on the mail server, then updated the exchange certificate. I rolled this back to troubleshoot with no luck; it had been reporting that the ssl cert was about to expire in the system logs; i tried to self sign temporarily.

I notice the backup system (unitrends) isn't succeeding every night. It throws errors every morning that says this: "(id 19364) Unable to perform backup operation, detecting that selected 'Microsoft Exchange Writer' is in failed state!" Is this related? The whole server seems fubar to me.

Does anyone have any kind of material to help me troubleshoot this? Strangely, I can restart the transport service and it will receive external email for a few hours before pooping out again.

How much disk space is available on the server?

Do senders get a NDR? If so, what does it say exactly?

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Agree with Andy
    Please check free space and send a test mail from Gmail and check. 
    Furthermore,
    Please check antispam logs  whether you are recieving external emails or no.
    Please test inbound SMTP Email from https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ and share the result

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:57 PM
  • If I run a test on the microsoft remote connectivity analyzer, it says there isn't enough storage (see below for report). Looking at the hard drives, the previous admin has cut it up into 4 sections. System (c:) 54gb/3gb free; exchange info store (e:)499gb/180gb free; exchangeApps (f:) 15gb/2gb free; and lastly transaction logfiles (g:) 349gb/57gb free.

Attempting to send a test email message to user@domain.org using MX mailbox.domain.org. Delivery of the test email message failed.

Additional Details

The server returned status code 452 - Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
    Exception details:
    Message: Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
    Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
    at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, Byte[] command, MailAddress from, Boolean allowUnicode)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()
    Elapsed Time: 5300 ms.

• Edited by y_aji Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:27 PM anonymizing
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

If possible run disk cleanup utility to free up some space n C drive and take a backup. Move all your logs/edb paths from C drive to any other drive.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(v=ws.10).aspx

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/956324
    or. m

Or

For the time being try to compress your C drive to save space. and move all your logs/edb locations from C drive to any other drive.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124343(v=exchg.80).aspx

Have a look at these links (depending on the Exchange version):
    Exchange 2010:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201658.aspx
    Exchange 2007:
    http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/understanding-back-pressure-feature-exchange-server-2007.html
    If you sure that the Mailbox server is not taking strain, then I would disable Back Pressure and test. If it starts working, then we know where the problem is and can focus on correcting the Back Pressure settings and/or the server.But I dont think it is a backup pressure issue.

Thanks, MAS

• Edited by MAS- Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:47 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:41 PM
  • If I run a test on the microsoft remote connectivity analyzer, it says there isn't enough storage (see below for report). Looking at the hard drives, the previous admin has cut it up into 4 sections. System (c:) 54gb/3gb free; exchange info store (e:)499gb/180gb free; exchangeApps (f:) 15gb/2gb free; and lastly transaction logfiles (g:) 349gb/57gb free.

Attempting to send a test email message to user@domain.org using MX mailbox.domain.org. Delivery of the test email message failed.

Additional Details

The server returned status code 452 - Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
    Exception details:
    Message: Insufficient system storage. The server response was: 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources
    Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
    at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, Byte[] command, MailAddress from, Boolean allowUnicode)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()
    Elapsed Time: 5300 ms.

Your system drive is way too small. Either increase it( virtual? ), clear out some space, or move the transport database to another drive with space:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125177(v=exchg.150).aspx

If this Exchange 2007:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124343(v=exchg.80).aspx

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Sunday, September 28, 2014 11:39 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Thanks you guys, so much! Just simply restarting it put me at 6gb, so clearly I need to give it some more breathing room. I'll try extending it and clearing out any excess junk. Thanks again! I'll update this once I verify that was the problem.
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Hiy-aji

Thank you for your questions.

From your log,I suggest you can do the following steps:

1.Clear disc space for Exchange to accept new emails again.
    2.Move the email files from the BADMAIL folder to the PICKUP folder (both in the c:\program files (x86)\POPcon folder) to have them resent to Exchange.

you can refer to the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201658.aspx

if any questions ,please let me know.

Best regard,

Jim xu

Monday, September 29, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Thanks guys!

Sadly still nothing. After removing about 8 extra gb on C as well as removing some extra space on every hdd just to see, then performing a full system restart, it still seems to be doing it. And at increased frequency.
    This comes up in the logs about once every hour:

Process Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe (PID=####). Configuration object CN=SMTP (MAIL2-{####}),CN=Connections,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=omitted,DC=lfc,DC=local read from omitted failed validation and will be excluded from the result set.  Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure.

Is this information at all valuable?

Monday, September 29, 2014 12:05 PM
  • On a separate note, it appears the physical memory is nearing its maximum. Store.exe is running at 8gb (which appears to be expected) and all together it's running at about 95% utilization with 16gb of memory. Is it possible the server just needs more physical memory? Is there a way to test this easily? I don't see any complaints in the system logs, but maybe I need to look at a different set of logs?
    Monday, September 29, 2014 12:19 PM
  • The hard drive that held the exchange server software fell below 2gb (It was a 16gb server) which fell outside the desired threshold of appromixately 10% remaining HDD. In edgetransport.exe.config (located in %exchange server folder%/bin/) I relocated it to another larger drive and haven't had problems since. 

Upon restarting, it would reset to just above the 10% threshold, but was slowly filling w/ more junk from failing, which caused it to happen faster and faster over time.

Will update with any further problems. Thanks guys!

• Edited by y_aji Monday, September 29, 2014 7:54 PM added more information
    Monday, September 29, 2014 7:53 PM