none
Upgrade Secondary Domain Controller

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if I can upgrade a secondary replicated Doamin Server, which is a Hyper-VM, from WS Core 2012 r2 to WS Core 2016 directly.

The Primary DC is 2016 so the AD Schema is already being upgraded to 2016 version.

Can I just run the upgrade without any pre preperations ?

I will be glad to hear if you have any other Ideas.

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To perform an in-place upgrade of a computer that has the AD DS role installed, you must first use the command-line commands Adprep.exe /forestprep and Adprep.exe /domainprep to prepare the forest and domain. An in-place operating system upgrade does not perform automatic schema and domain preparation. Adprep.exe is included on the installation media in the \Support\Adprep folder. There are no additional configuration steps after that point, and you can continue to run the Windows Server 2016 operating system upgrade.

Regarding the Secondary Domain Controller upgrade, you just need to run the upgrade installer and it will recognize that if we had not ran forest or domainprep as of yet and wouldn’t allow the installer to move forward until we did.

One related article for your reference:

Upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller to Windows Server 2016

http://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2016/11/upgrade-windows-server-2012-r2-domain-controller-to-windows-server-2016/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

You do not need any preparation and it is automatically done in Windows Server 2012 or later versions. Please check below technet related article.

You can move ahead with upgrade.

Thanks,

Karim

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:19 AM