Constant Drop Calls after exactly 40 Seconds RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently we have been dealing with a certain problem that is only pertaining to ONE user at our company. This user picks up phone calls and the calls drop at exactly 40 seconds. Interestingly enough, the Polycom phone does NOT drop phone calls, ever. I have done a ton of troubleshooting so far:

• Re-install drivers
        • Install new drivers from Lenovo update
        • Check event viewer for any error messages
        •Re-install skype for business client
        •Clean Outlook cache
        •Uninstall Outlook 2013 & Installed Outlook 2016
        •Provided a new headset
        •Loaner laptop(new laptop) was given & calls were still dropping
        •Desktop was completely re-imaged & calls are still dropping

None of the above has worked. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing a single user to drop calls at exactly 40 seconds?

Your help is appreciated.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan, 

Just to clear up the details , the call in picture is inbound call coming in from external PSTN number to the DID Of the Lync User ! is that correct . Peer to peer SFB client call  has no issues like this ? If this is an external PSTN call coming through Gateway , could you take some logs and check the call leg traces from Gateway and see  whats the call code coming after 40 secs. 

Linus

• Marked as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:17 AM
    Saturday, April 9, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Did the issue still happen if the issued account to login Lync client on another PCs?

If the issue happen just happen on single PC, then it is the PC client issue. You can try to update SFB client to the latest version, also try to perform the Clean Boot to avoid the third-party software affect.

If the issue happen on multiple PC, then it may a SFB account issue, please try to disable the issued SFB client, then enable it to test the issue.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:27 AM
  • is it a PSTN call or Lync to Lync call? 

What happens when its a video call?

I'd start with analyzing uccp log and see what SIP verb you see at the time of call drop. Would follow through the chain.. FE, Mediation, Gateway... 

www.rtcpedia.com - A real time communications blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan, 

Just to clear up the details , the call in picture is inbound call coming in from external PSTN number to the DID Of the Lync User ! is that correct . Peer to peer SFB client call  has no issues like this ? If this is an external PSTN call coming through Gateway , could you take some logs and check the call leg traces from Gateway and see  whats the call code coming after 40 secs. 

Linus

Saturday, April 9, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Did the issue still happen if the issued account to login Lync client on another PCs?

If the issue happen just happen on single PC, then it is the PC client issue. You can try to update SFB client to the latest version, also try to perform the Clean Boot to avoid the third-party software affect.

If the issue happen on multiple PC, then it may a SFB account issue, please try to disable the issued SFB client, then enable it to test the issue.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:27 AM
  • is it a PSTN call or Lync to Lync call? 

What happens when its a video call?

I'd start with analyzing uccp log and see what SIP verb you see at the time of call drop. Would follow through the chain.. FE, Mediation, Gateway... 

www.rtcpedia.com - A real time communications blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi All,

I have an update that is quite interesting and I hope this helps others.

After long hard extensive troubleshooting, I was able to figure out the problem.

The computer that was having these issues was the receptionist desk, which has up to three people logged into the computer at once. I wanted to boot the PC to safe mode and hopefully some background processes would stop working which would possibly show me what is causing these dropped calls. Once I boot back into a normal state, I performed a test call and the calls stopped dropping, I checked processes and everything seemed normal. I thought about the multiple users logged in at once while all running lync/skype for business at the same time and performed some tests. I logged into two accounts while the main account was also logged in, did a test call and the calls dropped. I then logged the other accounts out, went back to the main account and bam, calls stopped dropping.

Basically, more than 2 accounts running skype will cause issues because two clients have taken the resources to the USB and for whatever reason, it drops calls.

Cheers!
    • Proposed as answer by john4ix Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:04 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by john4ix Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by john4ix Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:04 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2016 8:23 PM
  • I would like to add that this is still an issue. Skype for Business 2016
    • Edited by HAL07 Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:04 PM
  • We had the exact same issue here (every call consistently dropped after 40 seconds) and this was the cause: the Windows laptop had another person logged in and running Skype for Business in the background. As soon as we logged everyone off and logged just a single person in, the issue went away.
    • Proposed as answer by john4ix Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:03 AM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Thank you!!

Spent ages troubleshooting my own laptops. Figured out it was the other end who had 2 users logged in.

That was really hurting me head.

Friday, July 6, 2018 8:13 AM
  • This issue continues in Microsoft Teams when multiple users are logged in to the same computer with a combination of Skype for Business and Teams running.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:10 AM