none
Master Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for all help.

Scenario:

1.  We are using Project Server.  We are using Master Projects and SubProjects.  Our Master Projects are what we call Programs and are made up of 1 or more subprojects.  We link all of the subprojects to the Master project in READ ONLY mode.

2.  When cost are updated in the subprojects to get the data to update at the Master Project level we are having to do the following steps:

A.  Open the Master Project in edit mode

B.  UnCollapse the SubProject section and then collapse it and go to the next subproject to uncollapse/collapse.

C.  Publish the Master Project.

Once these steps are completed then the costs are updated at the Master Project level and available at the PWA and reporting table levels.

Question:  With using READ ONLY - is there a way to have the cost data updated to the Master Project level without doing the above steps. I was hoping that just publishing the subprojects by themselves would update the data so that when you opened the Master Project all of the data would be updated without having to uncollape/collapse the subprojects one by one to get everything updated.

Thanks for the help.

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:01 PM

All replies

• Sam,

I think you are seeing the default behavior. I do not think there is a way around it, as the calculation of roll-ups etc happens once the Master Project and Sub projects are Open.

The alternative is to use Reporting to achieve this functionality.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:53 PM
  • Hello,

this is one of the features of using Master/Sub Projects. Like explained below if you use reporting and a custom field to map projects that belong to the same program you can achieve this level of automatic calculation.

The other way is to automate the tasks above by the use of a Macro.

Hope this helps

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Please mark this reply as an answer if this was valuable for you.

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:48 PM