none
SharePoint task list not updating when item created directly in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint 2013 on Prem

Exchange On prem

Sync is set up correctly and the task list from SharePoint shows in the 'Tasks' section in outlook as it should. If I create a new item in this list on the SharePoint side, it syncs to Outlook just fine. If I then modify that item within outlook, the change syncs back to SharePoint just fine.

The problem I'm having is that if I then create a new item in this task list IN OUTLOOK, it will never show up in the task list within SharePoint. Any Ideas?

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this happen to all your task lists or just one of them? 

Here are some things you may try and test to see if your problem could be solved:
    1. Create a new task list to test if this problem will appear again.
    2. You could try clicking on “Update Folder” after adding the new task in Outlook.

3. Restart Outlook 

Best regards,
    Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Sarah Yang Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by THIVAGAR SEGAR Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Arturo E Flores Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:12 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Hello Arturo,

After Update Folder, still you have any problem with sync. you can see the errors by clicking Show Progress

if you can't identify the issue, then you can unsync the task from outlook and re-initiate the sync from the sharepoint task list.

Regards:

Thivagar SEGAR

Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Thank you for Replying Sarah.

Unfortunately I've already tried all of these recommendations with the same results.

1. Create a new task list to test if this problem will appear again. - Yes it does
    2. You could try clicking on “Update Folder” after adding the new task in Outlook. - Folder updates successfully, but Items still do not show in SharePoint.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Thank you Thivagar. Unfortunately, this is a no go as well.

'Show Progress' shows a successfully completed sync with no errors.

Undoing the sync to the task list, and even deleting the list from outlook, then re syncing the list still does not solve the issue I'm having.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Did you restart the Outlook? Have you tested this on other PC?

Here is an article about prerequisites for exchange task synchronization. Please check each of them to see if it could be the cause.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/configure-exchange-task-synchronization

Best Regards,

Sarah Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 7, 2018 9:01 AM
  • Hi Sarah,

Yes, I have restarted Outlook. I've also gone through this document and verified everything listed in it is set up correctly.

Friday, September 7, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tested this problem on other PCs?

You may try repair your office application and clear the outlook cache.

Best Regards,

Sarah Yang

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:42 AM
  • Hi Sarah,

Yes, this is an enterprise wide issue. I have also tried both solutions you listed above with no change.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Can you check if the issue is caused by the internal network?

There might exists some firewall settings which prevent this action.

According to this case, it was finally confirmed to be an internal network issue.

Best Regards,

Sarah Yang

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:49 AM
  • Thank you Sarah. Unfortunately, your linked case is talking about the reverse affect of the issue I'm having and it's also referencing calendars. Our calendar sync is working fine both directions. To be safe, I've also had my network team look into this with no errors being found.
    Friday, September 14, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Since you have tried all the possible methods I mentioned above and still can't solve it, I would suggest you open a ticket according this issue.

Best Regards,

Sarah Yang

Monday, September 17, 2018 1:24 AM
  • Is there any solution to this issue?

I've got exactly the same problems here...

Thursday, February 7, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Unfortunately, I haven't come up with a solution yet. I'll try to set some time aside later this week to take another look at it
    Monday, February 11, 2019 5:35 PM