Moving Local Profile to Domain Profile RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going to use the following to move a local profile to a domain profile but my question is:

Can the machine be on the domain or Does the machine need to be in safe mode(with networking) to move the profile?  will this also work in windows 7 and vista?

1. Login with Admin rights
    2. Go to control panel, system, advanced User Profiles click the Settings button
    3. Select the domain user's profile click on Copy To, and browse to the new domain user's c:\documents and settings\username folder.
    4. Click the Change button in Permitted to use and select the domain\username account you just copied

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

• I've never done this, but I'm watching this thread to see if anyone knows.  FMI, why are you doing this?
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:17 AM
  • We have a number of machines that need to get added to the domain but they need to migrate their local user profile to their domain profile.  I'm finding this option above does not work. 
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:13 PM
  • What happens when you try the above steps?  Where did you get the information?  Can you supply a KB reference.

What I have done in these cases is manually copy their local settings and documents etc. to a separate folder, then log in with the domain profile, and restore the documents, shortcuts, favorites, etc. into their new profile manually.  I have found no other way to do this reliably.  If you find a way, please let me know!

An added benefit of doing it this way is that you at least start with a 'clean' profile, although it is time-consuming.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Another idea would be to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, or, if you're doing a lot of machines, the User State Migration Tool.

If it were Windows 7, I would definitely recommend the Windows Easy Transfer, but I have found the XP FSTW not so great.

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bigteddy Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:32 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:31 PM