Notes in Outlook suddenly write protected RRS feed

• Question

• Could someone tell me why my notes in Outlook have become write protected.  New entries are fine but anything older than the last couple of weeks is write protected.  All the old contacts do not appear in general view when I click on the the contacts name, but when I do a search the old contacts and new ones are found in the search window.  I am using Windows 10 Home vs 1803 23/5/18 17134.523 build.  I did migrate years ago my email account with contacts when I changed email providers when that old provider went out of business and have deleted that profile.  Constacts seemed to work okay for a while until it stared showing duplicates of everything i.e. contacts and emails.  I tried running a fix but it only looks at email not the contacts list.  Any ideas how i can get the notes back to being able to update them and to stop this duplication?  I can live with the duplication but need to be able to modify my contact list.
    • Edited by CJLondon13 Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:59 PM
    • Moved by woshixiaobai Monday, January 28, 2019 2:59 AM move this case to the right forum
    Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi CJLondon13,

Thanks for visiting our forum. Our forum focus on Microsoft Teams, which is the hub for team collaboration in Office 365. Based on your description, this issue is more related to Outlook, so I’ll move this thread to the Outlook forum to get a better response.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 28, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Thanks. Hopefully someone can help.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi CJLondon13,

Sorry for my late reply.

>>All the old contacts do not appear in general view when I click on the the contacts name, but when I do a search the old contacts and new ones are found in the search window.

If you switch to another view, will you find these contacts? In case it was related with a corrupted view, we can reset view to test the results. To do this, please click View tab > Reset View button.

How do you migrate your contacts to new account? Via exporting and then importing PST files?

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP? We can repair Outlook data files to see if it works. Please refer to the steps in this link.

(Note: IMAP account only sync Inbox with server. To avoid losing data, please backup mailbox first before recreating OST file.)

Besides, what's the detailed version of Outlook? Please install the newest updates.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:52 AM
  • Hi CJLondon13,

There was a known issue that after updating Outlook to build 16.0.11126.20266, you may not be able to edit the Notes field of some contacts. Please check the details in this link. If you're using an Office 365 or an Outlook.com account, you can edit your contacts by using the web.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, February 4, 2019 7:06 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 7:06 AM
  • Hi CJLondon13,

I've found that the root cause of the issue is related to the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property. So, its likely it would affect all versions. As another workaround, you may go through the post of Gabriel Bratton to remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property using MFCMAPI or the add-in mentioned by him. 

Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:56 AM