Renamed Address List not showing new name in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2007 SP3 up to date with rollups. Outlook 2007

I need to rename some address lists in Exchange.  These are lists that I have manually created.  In outlook they show up in addition to the GAL and the users local contacts.

The issue is after changing the name and the display name of these lists; they still show up in Outlook with the old name.  Not sure what I am missing.  If I check the list details using 'get-addresslist | fl' all info reflects the new name.  Also all properties are correct with the new name if I browse to the Address list object in AD using ADSI Edit.  Lastly, the lists show the correct new name in OWA.

What's the deal?  How do I get the list name change to show correctly in Outlook?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:39 PM

Answers

• Wait...

What you see in Outlook is the OAB (Offline Address Book) which is essentially a cached copy of the GAL. This copy is not updated in real time. In fact, it could take roughly a day or two depending on a number of factors.

Very roughly (and from memory), the "OAB generation server" - creates and then periodically updates the OAB. This server is a Mailbox Server (as in the "Mailbox role"). The OAB is then transfered to a shared folder on the CAS (as in CAS role, once again) which could be the same physical server as the Mailbox server. This happens approximately every 24 hours, so if the client downloads the OAB right before the new version is made available, it will have to wait up to a day for the updated version.

You can try to update the OAB manually and then try to download the address book manually in Outlook but by the time you read this, it might be unnecessary.

Of course, there are other possibile causes, but that's the most common reason. Just timing.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:12 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:28 PM